What's new

Dual WAN setup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rtadams89

New Around Here
I'm trying to make ASUSwrt-merlin's dual WAN setup work in a specific way, and I'm not sure if I even can.

ASUS router with dual wan turned on in active. LAN side is 192.168.30.1/24
WAN 1 goes to a cable modem. The cable modem is in bridge mode and assigns a public IPv4 address to WAN1. It's configuration/status page is also reachable at 192.168.100.1
WAN 2 goes to a 4G modem. This modem is in bridge mode and assigns a public IPv4 address to WAN2. It's configuration/status page is also reachable at 192.168.5.1

When WAN1 is up:
I want traffic leaving the router, from any LAN client, to public IPs exit via WAN1.
I want traffic destined for 192.168.100.1 to exit via WAN1.
I want traffic destined for 192.168.5.1 to exit via WAN2.
I expect inbound request from WAN1 to match the NAT rules and pass through to LAN IPs as appropriate.
I want inbound requests from WAN2 to be dropped.

When WAN1 is down:
I want traffic leaving the router, from specific LAN clients, to public IPs exit via WAN2.
I want traffic leaving the router, from all other LAN clients, to public IPs to be dropped.
I want traffic destined for 192.168.100.1 to exit via WAN1.
I want traffic destined for 192.168.5.1 to exit via WAN2.
I expect inbound request from WAN2 to match the NAT rules and pass through to LAN IPs as appropriate.

To determine If WAN1 is up/down, I don't want to use the built in "ping some IP" check, but rather use a script to periodically connect to http://192.168.100.1 and parse the response.

I think what I need is a script that does the up/down check via cron, and based on the results swaps between 2 different iptables and interface route definitions. As I try to build this out, the issue I think I am running into is an issue with the default WAN management functionality fighting me. Has anyone gotten something like what I describe above working; and if so, can you share your set up?