What's new

Dual wan with Single Modem?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

If this client plays alone, should be able to get 940/50. With other players it gets complicated. :)

so far across all the devices in my network everything works fine including items I forwarded to the public internet, Plex, etc.

I am seeing no negatives currently. I Have to see how well the dual wan works after a few days in the stability department but atm this is only has been a win situation.

You have an AC88U, right? Here is another quarantine project for you:
Dual WAN Double NAT WAN Aggregation + Link Aggregation :cool:
I wish, I never bought a dual port NAS, and my manager switch never worked with it. Most of my content is hosted in the cloud so having the 1200 full pipe was a priority. One day I will have fiber so I can host some of the content locally to save some bucks.

I wanted to post that its been a few days and things have been holding great. still getting ~1200mbit across multiple devices without any negative impacts.

@akb curious what a single wired client is capable of? Such as when downloading a very large file, for example, from MS or elsewhere that is 'fast'. :)

@akb curious what a single wired client is capable of? Such as when downloading a very large file, for example, from MS or elsewhere that is 'fast'. :)

single device speed is 940/50 MAX, multi-device max speed is 1200/50 max limited by Comcasts ISP speeds. I believe if i had 2000/2000 pipe, a common high tier fiber i might be able to pull much higher until the routers processing limit.

No, not a speed test.

Download an actual file from a real website. :)

So i found one negative, on the latest merlin home page for the router the reported speeds are half'ed for internet traffic. I suspect this is related to the dual wan.

That is not a website either. :)

What I'm asking is for you to connect to a single server and download a very large file. This will show you what your speed from a single client really is. :)

(I could be wrong and it could be the same, but not if I'm understanding how networks, work). :)

That is not a website either. :)

What I'm asking is for you to connect to a single server and download a very large file. This will show you what your speed from a single client really is. :)

(I could be wrong and it could be the same, but not if I'm understanding how networks, work). :)
I tried this site as i do not really have something i can test single file downloads easily. https://turnkeyinternet.net/speed-test/ clicking 10gb file it get speeds ~90MB/s, not sure if its a website limitation or my internet. Regardless still plenty fast.

doing it a few times it got to 100MB/s, also its prime time internet time i can test off peak hours for Comcast my time zone and see if it hits the 117MB/s the absolute max value

I was right! I could be wrong. :)

Doing the single file download made me conclude that the traffic monitor on the latest merlin only looks at wan port 1, the single file tests reportedly correctly when on wan1 port and nothing showed up when the test was ran again from 1:1 balance which went to wan2(lan1) port.

Also regarding the single file download, i feel like everything using parallel downloads, Xbox, steam, plex, AWS S3, etc. That if i am loosing max single link download, its hardly significant.