What's new

e2000 + WRT54g2 Setup questions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SNBRook

New Around Here
Hello all. I did a little bit of reading prior to signing up to post this question, but I just wanted to get some pro opinions and recommendations about my specific situation.

Current setup:
Bright house Inet>Wrt54g2>DGS-2208 Switch

I have my 360,Printer,HDhomerun,and obviously the switch connected via cat5e to the main router which is upstairs in the very center of the house.
Wireless devices include an ipod touch,our smart phones, and one macbook (n capable).

My two main work computers are connected to the switch and both have gigabit nics. I also have open rj45 ports in every room of the house.

My problem is that i have Spotty Coverage in back corners of the house and no coverage on back porch.

I just recently picked up a e2000 from the 38 dollar refurb deal to rectify this and was wondering the following.

1) Should I setup e2000 as the main router since it has gigabit switch ? I realize my two boxes with gigabit are already segmented on the gig switch so I didnt know if this was necessary. Also I figured the e2000 prob has better range than the 54g2 so hrm.

2) If i switched to the e2000 as main router should i run 54g2 as AP to extend wireless to poor coverage spots in back yard? Is this going to slow down my speed and if so is there some other way to do it that wont?

3) Wireless security, should I have the same on both routers and is wpa2 tkip the way to go for lowest speed reduction?

4) Since the brunt of wireless is via the macbook should I run 5ghz on the e2000 specifically for this device and reg 2.4ghz on the other?

I know this is a lot for a first post so please even answering one would help greatly. I'm also up for any suggestions for any other equipment I would need. Thank you kindly.
-Kristina