What's new

E4200 as a wireless range extender/repeater

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Aqualung

Occasional Visitor
I have finally decided to retire my old E4200v1 and switch to Netgear's R7000. I still have some dead spots in the house though, and I was wondering if I could use the E4200 as a wireless repeater to boost/repeat the signal in one of the dead spots. Can the E4200 (stock FW) be used as such? What if I switch it to Toastman's Tomato?

I have finally decided to retire my old E4200v1 and switch to Netgear's R7000. I still have some dead spots in the house though, and I was wondering if I could use the E4200 as a wireless repeater to boost/repeat the signal in one of the dead spots. Can the E4200 (stock FW) be used as such? What if I switch it to Toastman's Tomato?

Probably check over at DD-WRT i believe E4200 V1 is supported.

DD-WRT Linksys E4200 V1, Click here

Instructions on how to flash E4200 and FW Click here:D

Your Welcome;)

Last edited:

Just re-purpose it as an access point (AP). Instructions are simple:
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...onvert-a-wireless-router-into-an-access-point

Place it in/near a weak signal area.
Connect it to router via
cat5 (best)
MoCA adapter pair
HomePlug or other IP over power wiring. See cautions re signal-suckers.

(repeater a.k.a. WDS, last resort. Poor performance/reliability)

Just re-purpose it as an access point (AP). Instructions are simple:
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...onvert-a-wireless-router-into-an-access-point

Place it in/near a weak signal area.
Connect it to router via
HomePlug or other IP over power wiring. See cautions re signal-suckers.

(repeater a.k.a. WDS, last resort. Poor performance/reliability)
Many thanks for the suggestion!!! I was going to go with the repeater-bridge scenario, but at your suggestion it dawned on me that I could, in fact, do the HomePlug thingie! Boy, I was so set in turning it into a range extender, that I completely discounted easier (and better) venues.

The only thing now is that I already flashed it w/dd-wrt. Should I revert to stock for the AP scenario? I don't really want to spend much time configuring dd-wrt (which seems to be a configuration nightmare), though it may, indeed, give me better performance. (Or would it?)

Alright, so I turned my E4200 into an AP via powerline, and I couldn't be happier. Getting very good speeds in what used to be dead WiFi spots. Here are a couple of questions:

1. I gave the E4200 AP a fixed IP outside of the main router's DHCP area. Is that a good thing?
  2. What are the pros and cons of giving the E4200 AP the same SSID as the main router's?

Many thanks to everyone for the advice.

I gave the E4200 AP a fixed IP outside of the main router's DHCP area. Is that a good thing?
Yes. It will prevent possible IP collisions. You could also reserve an IP address for it within the server's range. You just want to be able to know where it lives so you can access it reliably.

What are the pros and cons of giving the E4200 AP the same SSID as the main router's?
Pro: don't need to change SSIDs. Con: You can't make the client connect to the AP that has a stronger signal and the client may not be smart enough to.

I uses different SSIDs for each WiFi access device... so that the user can choose which SSID/device should be best (proximity). Typical WiFi client devices do NOT do such. Especially when moved from room to room.

I uses different SSIDs for each WiFi access device... so that the user can choose which SSID/device should be best (proximity). Typical WiFi client devices do NOT do such. Especially when moved from room to room.
Yep, for now I think I will stay with different SSIDs.

Cheers!

That might work - but remember that SSID's represent the wireless LAN, most modern clients these days do "roam" and select the best AP.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!