What's new

E4200 or R7000: which to use as router / AP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Comet

New Around Here
This might be a multi-part question, but I currently have this set-up:

modem--wired--E4200v1 router--wired--unmanaged 8-port switch--wired--NAS

The modem/E4200 router/8-port switch are located in the utility room in the basement. From there, ethernet cables are distributed to various rooms in the 2 story 2000sf house. Surfing on the internet is good using the 2.4Ghz 802.11n throughout the house. However, 5Ghz reception is miserable on the 2nd floor and not spectacular in the 1st floor. Streaming mkv is hit and miss on the 2nd floor.

So I impulsively bought a R7000 router to turn into an AP on 1st or 2nd floor. However, now I'm wondering whether I should use the R7000 as the main router and the E4200 as the AP or vice versa?

Second question is whether any special configuration so that I can connect to the NAS from both router or AP?

Thanks!

Use the R7000 as your primary router.

To use the E4200 as an AP, follow the instructions in link below. Be sure to "specify an IP address". You will be able to access NAS from both router and AP.

http://kb.linksys.com/Linksys/GetAr...tting_up_the_Linksys_E4200_in_bridge_mode.xml

those instructions set the E4200 into Bridge Mode, not access point mode (AP) mode. Best to use AP mode so there is no double NATing, one subnet. In AP config, the WAN port goes unused.

The top level of this web site (above the forum level), there is an explanation on how to change ANY WiFi router to be an AP. Siimple.

those instructions set the E4200 into Bridge Mode, not access point mode (AP) mode. Best to use AP mode so there is no double NATing, one subnet. In AP config, the WAN port goes unused.

The top level of this web site (above the forum level), there is an explanation on how to change ANY WiFi router to be an AP. Siimple.

Thiggins, can you moderate this and delete stevechs post. He can't seem to grasp bridge mode on stock linksys firmware.

He is continually trying to confuse people with his lack of knowledge.

I have tried to explain it to him on 4 separate occasions.

He doesn't have a linksys router that has bridge mode, but he is continually disputing my posts and refuting the linksys instructions.

My posts are based on my own personal experience and the linksys instructions. I have no idea what stevech is basing his posts on. But it is certainly not based on fact.

Thanks!

Just a quick update. As recommended, I swapped out my E4200 router with the R7000. First impression is that the range and speed is much faster with the R7000. I can stream on the 2nd floor with 5Ghz.

Regarding setting the E4200 as an AP, I specified the IP address of the router and then rebooted. However, I now can't access the E4200 setup anymore, nor is wifi enabled. I hope I didn't brick it.

I'm going to look at it again tomorrow as it's getting late.

Thanks!

Just a quick update. As recommended, I swapped out my E4200 router with the R7000. First impression is that the range and speed is much faster with the R7000. I can stream on the 2nd floor with 5Ghz.

Regarding setting the E4200 as an AP, I specified the IP address of the router and then rebooted. However, I now can't access the E4200 setup anymore, nor is wifi enabled. I hope I didn't brick it.

I'm going to look at it again tomorrow as it's getting late.

No, you didn't brick it. You just have to reset the E4200 to factory defaults and try again. Make sure you're using the latest Linksys stock firmware. You definitely need the ethernet cable coming from the R7000 connected to the E4200's internet port. Just follow those bridge mode instructions carefully and you'll be fine.

If you want to let the R7000 assign the E4200 and IP address instead of "specifying an IP address" for the E4200, you can do that too. Then all you have to do is go to the R7000 GUI and use DHCP reseverations.

Linksys recommends using Bridge Mode instead of the dinosaur method of the LAN-to-LAN cascade when you want to turn it in to an AP.

Last edited:
Another update:
As suggested by jlake, I setup E4200 as an AP by putting it into bridge mode. For those wondering, I looked at the default gateway of my R7000 router, which was 10.0.0.1 and subnet 255.255.255.0. On the E4200, I specified the IP address as 10.0.0.100 with subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. I then connected the ethernet from the router to the E4200 via the LAN port.

An observation:
With my ipad Air and E4200 on the 2nd floor and R7000 in the basement, the throughput on the ipad Air was better when connected to the R7000 5Ghz signal than the E4200 5Ghz signal even though the E4200 was on the same floor as the ipad Air. I tested this by streaming mkv from my NAS.

Another update which I hope will help others. With the original firmware in the R7000 router, Twonkymedia wasn't working such that I couldn't see my NAS on my tablets. After the upgrade of the R7000 firmware, I can now see the NAS drives and streaming mkv is a piece of cake from the 2nd floor!

I am currently using the R7000 with DD-WRT. DD-WRT turns the R7000 from a tiger to a monstrous beast that eats tigers as snacks.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!