What's new

EA-N66 Wireless Ethernet Adapter

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I got one also for one of my desktops that is out of practical range for snaking Ethernet cables. It works great with the RT-N66U router, but in wireless receiver mode you have very little control over settings. There must be some kind of advanced HTML page that holds additional settings. For example, It always connects to 2.4 GHz and there is no way to make it connect to 5GHz (maybe that's all it does at the distance from the router that my PC is located). BTW, I didn't see any difference between using the supplied Ethernet cable or a short CAT6. It also has a nice feature that the blue LED indicates signal strength. I haven't looked to see if there are any firmware upgrades.

The manual claims that it will also work as a wireless repeater or a router, but I haven't tried that (and probably won't). I could see using this to quickly network any device (TV, disk array, printer) that has Ethernet.

I got one also for one of my desktops that is out of practical range for snaking Ethernet cables. It works great with the RT-N66U router, but in wireless receiver mode you have very little control over settings. There must be some kind of advanced HTML page that holds additional settings. For example, It always connects to 2.4 GHz and there is no way to make it connect to 5GHz (maybe that's all it does at the distance from the router that my PC is located). BTW, I didn't see any difference between using the supplied Ethernet cable or a short CAT6. It also has a nice feature that the blue LED indicates signal strength. I haven't looked to see if there are any firmware upgrades.

The manual claims that it will also work as a wireless repeater or a router, but I haven't tried that (and probably won't). I could see using this to quickly network any device (TV, disk array, printer) that has Ethernet.

For testing purposes, I assume your 2.4 ghz network and 5 ghz network have different SSID's? If they have the same name, it's probably connecting to the network it feels has the strongest signal. Try giving them different names and then connecting.

Yep, giving them different SSIDs worked. I did notice that the ASUS support site has the quick start manual, the setup utility and the firmware for download, but they are all the initial releases.

Hmmm, still no clue, Can anybody explain to me, how does the EA66U communicate with the main N66U router?

1) Is it just

EA66U 2.4g <-> N66U 2.4g and EA66U 5g <-> N66U 5g?

2) it has to be that EA66U 2.4g SSID same as E66U 2.4g SSID, and EA66U 5g SSID same as E66U 5g SSID?

Thanks,

William

ASUS EA-N66 Firmware version 1.0.1.5f

1. Fix a Parent AP SSID which contains symbols can't be decoded by EA-N66 UI
2. Fix wanduck wireless link status detection method in EA mode
3. Add UI site-survey link down/link up prevention workaround to EA mode
4. Update UI

ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/wireless/EA-N66/FW_EA_N66_1015f.zip

ASUS EA-N66 Firmware version 1.0.1.6c

1. Turn off Realtek PHY blinking in EEE (Energy Efficient Ethernet) mode.
2. fix time zone issue
3. UI modifications

ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/wireless/EA-N66/FW_EA_N66_1016c.zip

musticast stream not avaible (

Last edited:
EA-N66 Full Manual ?

I was wondering if anyone had access to the full manual for the EA-N66.

The only documents on the ASUS website are Quick Start Guides -- which are pretty much useless to anyone concerned about specifications.

This Speedguide page describes a number of specs that I am interested in, including WPA2-PSK and 802.1X RADIUS authentication -- although, surprisingly, VPN is not listed -- which is a real concern for me.

However, I'd much prefer to get the real specs from the manufacturer -- rather than a third party. Especially for a device that is not "disposable" -- being at the high-end of the price range.

Thanks in advance.

Is anyone experiencing ridiculously slow local file transfers using this adapter?

I bought one to replace my existing D-Link DAP-1522, which worked perfectly, but I was hoping the EA-66U would be a bit faster. I have it set up as a bridge, plugged into my HTPC, connected to my 5Ghz network from my RT-N66U.

Home Server----------RT-N66U <- - - - - -> EA-N66U----------HTPC

----- = Gig-E
< - > = 5Ghz 802.11n

When I try to transfer files to and from my HTPC to my Home Server, I get less than 80kB/s. If I unplug the cable to my EA-66U and plug it back into my DAP-1522, transfer speeds go right back up to 20MB/s. Plug the cable back into my EA-66U, back down to 80kB/s.

It's only local file transfers that are slow though. If I run an internet speedtest, I only have 5ms of ping and I get my full 32Mbps/2Mbps [D/U].

Last edited:
Is QoS disabled on your router? There's some issues related to wifi + LAN transfers with the RT-N66U and its QoS. Try again with QoS disabled.

Is QoS disabled on your router? There's some issues related to wifi + LAN transfers with the RT-N66U and its QoS. Try again with QoS disabled.

QoS is disabled.

I'm not sure this is an issue with my RT-N66U, unless it's a specific compatibility issue between the two, since transfers work just fine when using my D-Link bridge. It's only with the Asus EA-N66 that I'm having trouble.

My RT-N66U is on .151 and my EA-N66 is on 1.0.1.6c

2 RMerlin
please make new firmware for EA with multicast support, asus team doesnt want to resolve problem

Can't help you there. I don't write firmwares, I merely modifies Asus's, and I don't have an EA-N66.

QoS is disabled.

I'm not sure this is an issue with my RT-N66U, unless it's a specific compatibility issue between the two, since transfers work just fine when using my D-Link bridge. It's only with the Asus EA-N66 that I'm having trouble.

Hi there!
Please try updating the drivers of the ethernet ports on all of your devices. We have reproduced similar issues before which were resolved after updating the drivers.

If you continue to have issues, please provide me the details of your NIC and networking setup.

2 RMerlin
please make new firmware for EA with multicast support, asus team doesnt want to resolve problem

If you would like to make a feature request, please email Networking_Support@asus.com

I got mine new together with an RT-N66U and after a lot of tweaking and FW-update I now get good results on 5GHz.

However, I didn't manage to connect more clients to the same EA-N66 via switch.
Would anyone know If that is possible?

Last edited:
QoS is disabled.

I got the same problem when I used .155 and .144
The problem occur on windows 7 / vista and server 2008 which remote differential compression turn off ( not more than 70KB/s ) so when I transfer from my Qnap , I got the speed around 17MB/s

then I rollback to official .112 , The problem was resolved I got around 22-26MB/s wireless transfer on windows platform...

Is anyone experiencing ridiculously slow local file transfers using this adapter?

When I try to transfer files to and from my HTPC to my Home Server, I get less than 80kB/s. If I unplug the cable to my EA-66U and plug it back into my DAP-1522, transfer speeds go right back up to 20MB/s. Plug the cable back into my EA-66U, back down to 80kB/s.

It's only local file transfers that are slow though. If I run an internet speedtest, I only have 5ms of ping and I get my full 32Mbps/2Mbps [D/U].

Did you find out how to fix the problem?

I got excactly the same "symptoms" - it drives me crazy since it works with other equipmtent.

yes I got my EA-N66 - sorry for the late reply.

The product is really smaller than expected.

The signal quality is more stable compared to the TrendNet TEW-684UB.
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1947542234.png

Transfere speed on LAN (RT-N66U with a LAN connected PC) was arround 19-21MB/s both directions.

The only thing I disliked was, that there is no MAC on the product printed - only an IP-Address (10.0.0.1) which was wrong (correct was 10.0.1.1. - but if you try to connect to the internet before you configurated the product, you will be redirected to the correct page - so no big deal.) The missing MAC had the problem that I installed the EA-N66 (very easy, selfexplained) but couldn't connect to my W-Lan because the router didn't had the MAC in the "allow-list".

All in one: very nice product and I will keep the EA-N66.

in my product, the MAC was printed in a small whitelabel glued in the box.
same with my RT-N66

ASUS EA-N66 Firmware version 1.0.1.5f

1. Fix a Parent AP SSID which contains symbols can't be decoded by EA-N66 UI
2. Fix wanduck wireless link status detection method in EA mode
3. Add UI site-survey link down/link up prevention workaround to EA mode
4. Update UI

ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/wireless/EA-N66/FW_EA_N66_1015f.zip

ASUS EA-N66 Firmware version 1.0.1.6c

1. Turn off Realtek PHY blinking in EEE (Energy Efficient Ethernet) mode.
2. fix time zone issue
3. UI modifications

ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/wireless/EA-N66/FW_EA_N66_1016c.zip

musticast stream not avaible (

links do not work for me.. weird.. I'm gonna try to download later on. as for the EAN66, its working fine for me O_O

Hi there!
Please try updating the drivers of the ethernet ports on all of your devices. We have reproduced similar issues before which were resolved after updating the drivers.

If you continue to have issues, please provide me the details of your NIC and networking setup.

If you would like to make a feature request, please email Networking_Support@asus.com

there are a lot of ethernet devices that havent had new drivers since 2011..(or worse.. like dlink ones) D:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!