What's new

Easy static route - can’t get it to work

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

andresmorago

hi
I have a ac68u router on my place. It’s running 380.68 and serves as dhcp for my entire network (10.0.0.1 / 255.255.255.0)
I need to connect on the lan side an industrial pc from work. It comes with a non changeable IP address 192.168.240.2 / 255.255.255.0.

I would like to be able to access this industrial pc from my computer which is connected to the router via Wi-Fi . My computer has 10.0.0.10 ip.

I have tried to configure a static route with no luck at all. Can’t ping from 10.0.0.10 to 192.168.240.2

Could you please provide any help with this?

Thanks

Attachments

• 82FF208F-176D-4793-B6CC-FBF57CFE6F72.jpeg
    82FF208F-176D-4793-B6CC-FBF57CFE6F72.jpeg
    56.6 KB · Views: 380
Last edited:
The ‘industrial pc’ has a private IP. So assuming your wlan has a public IP this isn’t going to work without a VPN...

Can you describe the whole network in more detail?

Is the ‘industrial pc’ at work, or in your lan but with a different IP from your dhcp range?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You won't be able to get this to work just by using static routes. Because the "industrial pc" is on a different subnet you need to have some sort of router between it and your LAN.

@JDB I think you have mis-read the OP where he said "wlan" (wireless), not "wan" (internet).

Hi
I don’t get your vpn idea

The network is being run at my home. Router serves all the devices at home on the 10.0.0.0 / 255.255.255.0 network.
All my devices are connected either wired lan or wireless to the router.

The industrial pc is with me right now and I have it connected directly to one of the lan ports of the router. Industrial pc comes with a static ip 192.168.240.2 / 255.255.255.0
I would like to be able to access the industrial pc from my personal computer which is conncted wirelsssly to the router.

You won't be able to get this to work just by using static routes. Because the "industrial pc" is on a different subnet you need to have some sort of router between it and your LAN.

@JDB I think you have mis-read the OP where he said "wlan" (wireless), not "wan" (internet).

I had considered that, hence the second part of my question...

Another option is to add a second IP to the router and have it do the routing (I have done this on mine)

Probably easiest is actually to add a 2nd IP to your computer in the same subnet as the pc. You may have to give it a static IP in your normal IP range as well (so not using dhcp) but Assuming this is a temporary situation that’s a small issue.

Thanks! Adding a second ip is definitely a good idea. I will try this instead of monkeying with my router

Thanks! Adding a second ip is definitely a good idea. I will try this instead of monkeying with my router
Let us know how you get on. I've tried this before with similar home routers and it didn't work. The first problem you will face will be that the wireless traffic will be dropped from the Asus' internal bridge and sent out of the WAN port.:(

Let us know how you get on. I've tried this before with similar home routers and it didn't work. The first problem you will face will be that the wireless traffic will be dropped from the Asus' internal bridge and sent out of the WAN port.:(

I just tested the scenario and unsurprisingly it works perfectly. If the bridge interface acted as anything other than a simple L2 switch the router would cease to do anything useful between the wireless and LAN!

I just tested the scenario and unsurprisingly it works perfectly. If the bridge interface acted as anything other than a simple L2 switch the router would cease to do anything useful between the wireless and LAN!
I understand your logic, that it what I thought and why I was surprised when it didn't work. But that was a few years ago with non-Asus gear.

In fact I just tried the same thing again here with my Asus router and I still can't get it to work. :confused: Can you say what settings you have used on the NIC for the "non-local" machine please.

EDIT: Scratch that. I think I've just spotted my mistake. :rolleyes:

My local LAN is 10.11.12.0/24
I set a LAN machine with manual IP 10.12.12.186/24
Tested my Mac (on WiFi) could no longer ping it
Tested LAN machine no longer had access to anything!
Gave my Mac 10.12.12.100/24
Ping instantly restored Mac<>LAN machine

Thanks for the sanity check @JDB

It's working now that I actually type the right numbers :mad::rolleyes:.

I guess the problem I had in the past was just a peculiarity of the device in question (or another typo).

Reactions: JDB