What's new

Ebay AC3100 or AC88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

CravinR1

New Around Here
So there is a quite large price discrepancy on ebay between the AC3100 and the AC88U. I found a AC3100 for $63 total after fees and taxes. Is it worth paying over $100 after shipping and fees for a AC88U ? I know the 88U can sometimes be had for $50-70 after shipping but the most common price is $100 or over.

I recently purchased a AX86U and will be using that as my primary router. The AC88U will be used in AIMESH to extend range while outside (The AX86U easily covers entire home and quite a bit outside).

Is it even a good idea to buy a used router ?

Welcome to the forums @CravinR1.

The RT-AC3100 is suggested over the RT-AC88U (by me!). This router offers the highest range I have ever seen in a real-world implementation. See the RT-AC3100 Report in the link here.

However, in my experience, I have seen the exceptional performance/stability of the RT-AX86U decrease, no matter what router it was paired with (AiMesh v2.0 wired, or wireless - with wired being highly preferred).

You may find that you don't see/mind this decrease when pairing an AX class router with an AC class router, but I do. Others find insurmountable issues (possibly because of the device client mix) when having an AX main and AC AiMesh node mix.

The only used router I may buy (to resell) are the ones that I have installed as brand new, and have supported for their lifespan, until now. In general, anything I've bought used though, I've regretted (usually sooner than later).

You may find some additional information/help in the links included in the post below. Particularly the Best Practices, Control Channel, and AiMesh Placement links.

Almost all L&LD Links

RT-AX86U + RT-AX58U? NO.

Welcome to the forums @CravinR1.

The RT-AC3100 is suggested over the RT-AC88U (by me!). This router offers the highest range I have ever seen in a real-world implementation. See the RT-AC3100 Report in the link here.

However, in my experience, I have seen the exceptional performance/stability of the RT-AX86U decrease, no matter what router it was paired with (AiMesh v2.0 wired, or wireless - with wired being highly preferred).

You may find that you don't see/mind this decrease when pairing an AX class router with an AC class router, but I do. Others find insurmountable issues (possibly because of the device client mix) when having an AX main and AC AiMesh node mix.

The only used router I may buy (to resell) are the ones that I have installed as brand new, and have supported for their lifespan, until now. In general, anything I've bought used though, I've regretted (usually sooner than later).

You may find some additional information/help in the links included in the post below. Particularly the Best Practices, Control Channel, and AiMesh Placement links.

Almost all L&LD Links
A lot of information but appreciate it.
What performance hit will my ax86u take from using the ac3100. If the router is set to repeater or mesh outside where I don't have connection with the ax86u?

To extend your range for a specific area, on a budget, consider moving the router towards that area/direction. :)

The network as a whole (not just the RT-AX86U specifically) will be at half capacity when the AiMesh or Repeater is in use. Repeater mode = wireless AiMesh

Simply joining an RT-AX58U, RT-AC86U, or RT-AX88U in AiMesh v2.0 wired backhaul made the benefits of the RT-AX86U evaporate for me. Even without the AiMesh node being used by other client devices. Will others still find the network functional? Yes. But in my testing, the RT-AX88U was then equivalent (or better).

The RT-AX86U functions optimally on its own, or with another RT-AX86U in wired backhaul mode (today).

To extend your range for a specific area, on a budget, consider moving the router towards that area/direction. :)

The network as a whole (not just the RT-AX86U specifically) will be at half capacity when the AiMesh or Repeater is in use. Repeater mode = wireless AiMesh

Simply joining an RT-AX58U, RT-AC86U, or RT-AX88U in AiMesh v2.0 wired backhaul made the benefits of the RT-AX86U evaporate for me. Even without the AiMesh node being used by other client devices. Will others still find the network functional? Yes. But in my testing, the RT-AX88U was then equivalent (or better).

The RT-AX86U functions optimally on its own, or with another RT-AX86U in wired backhaul mode (today).
OK thanks for the advice.
One other question. If all your clients are AC would you consider returning the $250 AX86U and just keeping the $60 AC3100 ? I have no plans of returning the AX86U just wondering if performance would be similar for AC clients (Planning to add AX access points for my PLEX server and some other systems).

I have in 2 different locations AX86U and AX58U working perfect.

if you want to extend wi-fi you should better think about ASUS RP-AC51 or better.

To be honest one of the reason in few months I will stop to work with Asus etc is that router and wi-fi is integrated. If you have router and AP wi-fi separately you can setup it in perfect place and have wi-fi range whenever you need.

Your question is not clear.

Only buy what you need to.

If today's AX class leader proves (in testing, in your specific environment) to be an upgrade that you need, or want, to pay for, do it.

Waiting for a future, superior, product to be delivered when it is needed, today, is not a good strategy to follow with tech.

I was on a Asus ac1300 until a few days ago and got the ax86u. The ac3100 is miles better than I ve had the past few years . But can afford the ax86u but wouldn't want to shell out another 250 in a few months for massive improved 6e

ac1300?

Nobody can force you to shell out anything. Except you.

If an Axe router was offered with 'massive improvements' it will be significantly more than just another $250.

But! Don't forget you can sell your old model then too.

Asus ac1300 RT-ACRH13

Yeah I can afford the router just didn't want to buy this then have a new model better performance come out immediately after
Ok ty for all the info

The model is RT-ACRH13, not AC1300. :)

That model is the RT-AC1300UHP.

You can disagree all you want.

Amazon isn't known for accuracy in naming things by model number either.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!