What's new

ebtables IPV6 Unknown argument: '--ip6-proto'

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Trex

New Around Here
Hello,
I've just migrated from openwrt to assus merlin.
First of all, I would like to say thanks for this custom firmware.
Unfortunately (even if I've managed to seamlessly make the transition) I still have a problem with ebtables.

I have a setup of more routers, that are connected thorught Openvpn TAP interface. That's because I want to have complete network transparency, allowing multicast and network advertising to work across the networks.

In order to filter out the cross-DHCP advertising, i've been using since years ebtables to filter out port 67 and 68.
Unfortuntely, on Assus Merlin, the ip6-proto argument is not recognized:

/usr/sbin/ebtables -I FORWARD -i tap12 -p IPv6 --ip6-proto udp --ip6-dport 67:68 -j DROP
/usr/sbin/ebtables -I FORWARD -o tap12 -p IPv6 --ip6-proto udp --ip6-dport 67:68 -j DROP
/usr/sbin/ebtables -I INPUT -i tap12 -p IPv6 --ip6-proto udp --ip6-dport 67:68 -j DROP
/usr/sbin/ebtables -I OUTPUT -o tap12 -p IPv6 --ip6-proto udp --ip6-dport 67:68 -j DROP

These commands generate the Unknown argument: '--ip6-proto' error message.

Is there a ko module that has to be inserted for EBTABLES to support IPV6?
Or a different syntax is needed on merlin ?
According to the man page this is correct, and on OpenWRT is was working.

Thanks in advance for the answers.

Note:
Please do not advice to use TUN instead of TAP. I have my reasons to use TAP, and no, the speed impact is not an issue, I have 1 Gbps fiber optics between the locations.