What's new

Edge router X max throughput

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ulaganath

Very Senior Member
Any one know the max throughput of edge router x. It says 1gb but i am seeing a limitation unless hw offload enabled but hitting 700Mbps is unstable on symmetric sustainable data transfer.

On 200Mbps line the max it hits on Fiber was 260 peak avg 230 ish. 28.5-30.1MB/s both up and download simultaneously .

On 300Mps lien the max hit on Fiber was 370 peak avg 330 ish 38.5-44.5 MB/s Download or upload but not happening at the same time. its not even hitting previous peak 60 but tries to balances a lot but not a sustainable download or upload though the source is same with 10x capacity.

max i can see is 680 combine avg 560 and peak 690 but cant sustain 600 even. when actual hover around 660 ish

I understand. But even after hwoffload is this router not capable to handle 300Mbps if symmetric usage 600Mbps. I heard its 1gig throughput but not symmetric which will throttle overall

I have a R7800 router. Using this just for the live stats and firewall. So far with 200Mbps not seen issue even with symmetric full speed .

1615111651517.png

Thats with 200Mbps with symmetric transfer

Below is 300Mbps with symmetric transfer

Peak down 381 and up 350ish

i can see now after hw offload the peak speed symmetric
781Mbps peak avg 730 ish
1615113012090.png

1615113031998.png
1615113050250.png

Attachments

• 1615112492087.png
    1615112492087.png
    11.2 KB · Views: 124
Now seeing full speed so plan change still not hitting hardware to the core limit

I can surely understand why you think this is feasable, but if you search you will find many reasons why this isn't working, sure there are routers with hardware chips that 'could' do this but sustained and with more then one user is another story. Before I went with a netgate I've done the research and tried many 'cheap' routers/firewalls, albeit netgate ain't cheap but with 3 isp endpoints combined I can reach 3gb wan throughput sustained with no packet loss with the box hovering at 20% cpu (4 cores). When it comes to hardware there is a clear difference with 'consumer' stuff.
My point is if you want high sustained throughout (1gb or higher) you need to look into a different segment of equipment.

The initial doubt was is this router mini can handle rated 1gbs ie 500 down and upload symetric . I am well aware as read in other edge related forums that its max is 1gb hw limit so with 1gb internet symmetric speed will be capped to max 1gb based on qos set or demand up and download will only achieve max 1gbps .

Since the connect plan i am moving from 200 to 300 usually should not hit a big margin though the speed is well withing hw limit when offloaded to hw to route the traffic. As most traffic qos are handled by my primary WIFI router R7800 running on voxel firmware latest 82F.

So far past 3 years i have no issues with R78k . Only for past 1 year i was using this router as front line for firewall and live stats purpose. Though the traffic meter available on usage but just need this live stats and overall consumption per month stats.

i think the deep packet inspection only feasible on higher end model. Does the Ubiquit gateway is must when running 7800 as main wifi router. I dont see any issues on stability so far with edge router. Occasionally net disconnect only when ISP is down happens 1-2 times in a quarter .

I am looking for upgrade to WIFI 6 router soon may be 6E based on advantage and affordable model exist. Basically it should have dual 5G band and sing 2.4g band which currently limited to only top end of all brands. Plus the lack of multi gig has to be all port ie all 4 or 6 lan should be 2.5g and multi gig has to be 5 or 10gb . I am still puzzled how 4800 Mbps is achievable over 1gb lan or even agree gated 2gb lan when 5gb muti is mere unusable unless one have 10gig switch

The initial doubt was is this router mini can handle rated 1gbs ie 500 down and upload symetric . I am well aware as read in other edge related forums that its max is 1gb hw limit so with 1gb internet symmetric speed will be capped to max 1gb based on qos set or demand up and download will only achieve max 1gbps .

there's two issues on the er-x line - first one is that edgeOS just isn't that efficient, running openWRT on the er-x will give faster speeds (with the same offloads active) - I saw a shift from 700-800mbps to 900+mbps running openwrt on it (with vlan, ppoe and nat offload active)

the bigger issue is how ubnt chose to allocate the internal links from the switch block to the core on the mt7621 - for the er-x sfp they have one link to the sfp port and one to the switch - for the non-sftp model they still do the same, limiting the symteric speed (since you're now using one of the switch based ports for wan). Other vendors using the mt7621 are smarter and connect both links to the switch on their non-sfp model, giving better symetric speeds (you'll still eventually run out of horsepower but it'll do better thn 500/500 symetric at least)

so options are either use the er-x sfp with a transceiver in the sfp for wan, or use ANY other vendors mt7621 box