What's new

Email notification when switching to secondary WAN?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I noticed the same, dead or unplugged works right away but not if internet connection is lost.
As far as i understand it means that "ping to internet" is not working.

May be this is the clue?

make sure you set "Redirect to error page" to LAN or WAN down if running dual-wan. It turns out that setting has additional meaning in a dual-wan environment.
Is it happening only on your fork or the same thing should happend on Merlin as well? Because i am almost sure i switched "Redirect to error page" off.

When is the last time you tried my fork? I touched the 'third rail' and did a bunch of wanduck changes in V23 working off-line with someone on dual-wan and got things pretty well working (at least for him).
I'm running bleeding edge here my friend.
One thing on my fork....make sure you set "Redirect to error page" to LAN or WAN down if running dual-wan. It turns out that setting has additional meaning in a dual-wan environment.
THAT is very helpful as I turn that nagging thing off first thing I set up a router.
Many thanks, will try later.

Good luck!
Fckng HP solder, too hard and I destroyed the only one I could salvage from that board.

Anyway, with @john9527 suggestion I tested it on a Merlin router: Madness. Now it switches forth and back in a frenzy even tough one of them is down.
WAN0 goes to a unconnected router, WAN1 to a connected router. Go figure.
Next, johns fork.

Madness. Now it switches forth and back in a frenzy even tough one of them is down.
Next, johns fork.
lol. Had the same issue some months ago. After primary goes down - it starts switching from primary to secondary and back within watchdog failback and failover time. If time is 5*6=30 sec - it works 30 sec on secondary then switches to primary (which is down) then waits for 30 sec and switches back to secondary and so on.

Now it switches forth and back in a frenzy even tough one of them is down.
Next, johns fork.
For me it didn't help at all. Nothing changed. I switched that redirect option on, primary wan got down again (we have storm here in Moscow) but router is still on primary wan and totally offline. It even doesnt know that it needs to switch to secondary wan.

If you unplug the cable, then all is well on Merlin's 380.67_beta1/john's 25E8.
But if it remains plugged in and primary WAN internet goes down, it switches forth and back on both firmware's even if secondary is up.
I need a break now, this is taking too much time.

Fckng HP solder, too hard and I destroyed the only one I could salvage from that board.

Anyway, with @john9527 suggestion I tested it on a Merlin router: Madness. Now it switches forth and back in a frenzy even tough one of them is down.
Next, johns fork.

Make sure you didn't disable the DNS probes (I think you usually do).

Make sure you didn't disable the DNS probes (I think you usually do).
No, it's set to enabled, for this reason. But thanks for throwing in your weight.

Where can i enable it? May be it will help?..
It's by default set to on and only in Merlin firmware.
Tools/Other Settings at the bottom: Wan: Use DNS probes to determine if WAN is up (default: Yes).
This is wanduck probing the dns.msftncsi.com domain continuously.

It's by default set to on and only in Merlin firmware.
Tools/Other Settings at the bottom: Wan: Use DNS probes to determine if WAN is up (default: Yes).
This is wanduck probing the dns.msftncsi.com domain continuously.
Oh i see. Thanx. I didnt touch it for sure.

Version 1.7 of the WAN connect notification script is now available.
Just switched form 1.5 to 1.7 and found new parameter:
# NTP timeout
# Seconds to wait until native ntp client has synchronised time after booting.
# Don's set this too low. Default is 15
NTP_TIMEOUT=40

Version 1.5 didn't have such a parameter - and everything worked perfect. Now i set it even to 40 and still get
Sat, 01 Aug 2015 03:01:08 +0300.

Just switched form 1.5 to 1.7 and found new parameter:
# NTP timeout
# Seconds to wait until native ntp client has synchronised time after booting.
# Don's set this too low. Default is 15
NTP_TIMEOUT=40

Version 1.5 didn't have such a parameter - and everything worked perfect. Now i set it even to 40 and still get
Sat, 01 Aug 2015 03:01:08 +0300.
Switch back to 1.5, I removed the manual update of NTP in the latest version and wait until the regular updater kicks in.
I work on AB-Solution 3.8.2 at the moment and have to postpone development for this script until I finish.

Is it a better option or why did you remove it?

No problem, 60 sec works ok for me, i'll stay on 1.7 with 60 sec timeout (actual NTP update time 57 sec, hope it'll not change). Thanx!
I changed it for simplicity, it needs the WAN anyway, why not wait until NTP is set natively by the router?
The change notification is not time sensitive as for example a dnscrypt or firewall script.

Native watchdog and ping to internet is not working for me at all on latest betas. My router is not switching to secondary wan when primary is down because of weather and other problems. Tried lots of times - nothing happends.
I badly need proper script for dual wan switching. So i am waiting for any news on this very much.