What's new

Enable ssh by default

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

qwe852

New Around Here
Hi,

Normally, users need to enable SSH in the Web GUI after resetting the device.

Is it possible to modify some config before compiling the firmware and make it enabled by default?

Thanks.

I think merlin would be the final say on the subject but there are two things that come to my mind when reading your post.
#1 Some of the code is closed source so compiling yourself seems unlikely. (dont quote me on this point)
#2 Opening anything extra beyond what is needed initially is considered weakening of the device security. Especially if it sits public facing. It is defaulted to a more secure state as it is.

Is it possible to modify some config before compiling the firmware and make it enabled by default?

Obviously the answer is no. A reset is just that, a total reset to factory defaults.

Hi,

Normally, users need to enable SSH in the Web GUI after resetting the device.

Thanks.
router/shared/defaults.c contains the default nvram values. However unless you are an ISP who needs to personalize some settings for support purposes, enabling SSH by default might be considered a security risk.