What's new

esata ports on NAS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

segfault

New Around Here
i had a question regarding the esata ports found on some NAS devices, like the thecus 5200 series and the lower end synology ds series. are these esata ports strictly for connecting an external drive to the NAS? i was wondering if it was possible to connect the NAS to my pc using the esata port and access it like an esata device - or is that not possible with any NAS device?

Typically, no. The eSATA port only provides support for an external hard drive. Essentially you'd be trying to connect two controllers together...and they wouldn't know what to do with each other :)

Typically, no. The eSATA port only provides support for an external hard drive. Essentially you'd be trying to connect two controllers together...and they wouldn't know what to do with each other :)

thanks for the reply - thats what i thought. i wasnt sure if there were any NAS devices out there that had an esata port for reading from the device itself and treating it like an external drive on another machine