What's new

Ethernet backhaul info

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

VandaL

New Around Here
Hi guys,

Is Ethernet backhaul still not possible on anything but the WAN port on the RT-AC68U? I managed to pickup one super cheap with a damaged WAN port for my mesh as it would be a guaranteed wireless mesh connection(this was a few years ago). I'm sure I read a few months back Asus has changed this policy or there is a work around?

I've run a cable to that node today upon plugging it in any of the 4 ports the whole mesh network starts to freak out, with every node hoping between my AX88U and that 68U with overall connectivity near zero because of it. Flashed the latest asus firmware Version 3.0.0.4.386.45375 to the AX88U today as a troubleshooting step which seems to be newer then the latest stable version of Merlin WRT?

The network currently
Untitled.png
Untitled.png

Had unplug the lan cable from the kitchen node or the network was basically dead.

Did you add the router with the failed WAN port via WIFI first?

Did you add the router with the failed WAN port via WIFI first?
Indeed it has been a mesh node in my network for quite a few years. Waiting to see there is some sort of work around, if not I'll attempt surgery on the WAN port.

if I try to readd it, it only see's the WIFI backhaul and once added destroys the whole mesh again if the lan cable is plugged in from the ax88u to any of its 4 lan ports. If you remove the lan cable and reoptimize the network everything goes back to normal

Try a usb to ethernet cable to get WAN working again. Realtek if you can get it.

Try a usb to ethernet cable to get WAN working again. Realtek if you can get it.
hmmm is it essential it be a realtek chip? I had a closer look at that port and boy oh boy is it a horror show it's like this guy pissed of his spouse/mom the wan port has literally every pin mangled. I suppose a soldering gun and a doner port from any old router would work. :rolleyes:

Would this work?

I honestly don't want to spend more on fixing it, that's cheapest easiest one to get locally for me.

Last edited:
I haven't tried it so can't say.
If you want a guarantee buy a toaster :p

Just mentioned it incase you had one lying around.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!