What's new

Ethernet weirdness when broadband is down

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kmac17

New Around Here
Hi all,

I'm running the latest merlin firmware on my Asus RT-AC68U (RT-AC68U_380.65_2 at the time of writing.)

It's a very vanilla configuration (I'm using the merlin firmware to get ssh access / JFFS, rather than for tweaking any network settings.)

I'm running both wifi and wired networks behind the router, which connects to our broadband provider via PPPoE. Devices connecting via wifi get their IP addresses via DHCP; devices connecting via ethernet (primarily, iMac workstation and headless slackware server) have static IPs from a different address range than that used for DHCP.

This all normally works fine and dandy.

Here's the weirdness:

I'm currently experiencing issues with my broadband provider, so my PPPoE connection is going down, or is showing as connected but packets aren't getting anywhere/I'm not getting DNS resolution. (This may be to do with planned upgrades to our cabinet etc etc.) When the broadband connection is down, it's also taking down my wired LAN.

Devices connecting via wifi can still ping the router by its IP. Devices connected via ethernet, either directly into the router ports or via a passive ethernet hub, are completely isolated. They can't see the network/router, or be pinged on their static IP addresses. (So, for example, my workstation can't communicate with my server, despite the fact that they both have static IP addresses, when the broadband connection is down. If I connect them directly to each other via a crossover RJ45 cable, they *can* talk to each other on the expected IP addresses, so their static IP config is ok.)

This is a new problem (we've had broadband outages before, with this router, without this issue.) However, I *can't* remember if we've had a sustained broadband outage since I upgraded the router to merlin firmware.)

I have rolled back one version, to 380_64.2, but the problem persists. Obviously, having no broadband is annoying, but having no wired LAN at the same time is a real showstopper.

I would be super-grateful for any thoughts about this, and whether it's a bug and/or whether there are sensible config changes I can make to the router to avoid it. (I'd prefer to continue to use the Asus for all my local network routing if at all possible!)

Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!