What's new

Expanding Wifi Range

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Your best bet for improving range using a single router is to use an AC class router with as many transmit receive streams as your budget allows. Right now this is 4x4, which means AC2600 or AC3100. AC5300 doesn't buy you range with its second 5 GHz radio. It can help increase capacity.

I would agree - however the best approach is put the AP's, if possible, where the users generally gather - as physics is a real thing, and no amount of big-honking routers will solve that, as the client side is pretty much what it is...

3*3:3 (and now we see 4*4:4) AP's do help, as there is some gain to be had, even with single stream clients, but it pales in consideration of proximity to the AP...

You are essentially trying to convince me that a central placement of the RT-AC3100 would have been worse? :)

That isn't what I'm saying at all.

Of course central placement is the ideal and what I suggested for my customer. However, I as well as he, was pleasantly surprised how well the latest/current router model worked vs. what the ISP provided (remember; along with an wired 'extender') in the worst possible location (according to 'theory'). ;)

While I always encourage the theoretical/optimum placement of equipment, I am not afraid to test different hardware in the more challenging environments. Many times the newer/newest designs surprise me and give my customers the install they really want (for whatever personal reasons they may have). Relying only on what theory would predict would have me walking away from jobs, which I can't afford to do. ;)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!