What's new

Expected throughput question...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

htismaqe

Very Senior Member
I have two desktop computers that sit right next to each other. I don't have enough wireless adapters to go around, so I converted an old Zyxel P-330W into a client bridge and connected both computers to it via Cat5e cables.

It seemed to work ok for a while but now things sometimes just seem slow. This morning I did a LAN speed test with my laptop, connected to the same 2.4Ghz (54Mb-only) SSID as the Zyxel and was getting 20-22Mbits read/write with my GigE NAS so everything appears to be ok there.

However, with my daughter playing on Facebook with one of the desktops I ran a LAN speed test from the other machine right next to it and I'm getting between 5-6Mbits.

I originally ditched the Zyxel as my main router because it started to get flaky and couldn't handle having so many devices connected to it. Once I turned off routing, it seemed to be fine so I've been using it as a bridge every since. Is it possible it's going bad completely?

What kind of speeds should I expect having 2 computers wired to a bridge and sharing a 54Mbit connection? I'm assuming it's going to halve the bandwidth for each client but what I'm seeing is a 75% reduction rather than 50%.

Would I be best getting adapters for each and hooking them up individually, even though I have 7 other 54Mb devices on the same network?

My question answered itself when I saw Linksys AE1000 adapters with USB extender included at the Shack for $49.99 each.

I only have a Netgear WNHDE111 on the 5Ghz band right now so I avoided further saturating the 2.4Ghz and simultaneously increased throughput to the two PCs in question.

Write speeds to my NAS are now around 50Mbps or more.

no way you have a bridge loop running is there?
PC on ethernet and on WiFi simultaneously, and no STP in use.
Can flood the LAN with junk packets. Shows up as abnormally flashing link activity lights.

Otherwise, maybe client bridge is in 11b mode with RTS/CTS slowing things down?

no way you have a bridge loop running is there?
PC on ethernet and on WiFi simultaneously, and no STP in use.
Can flood the LAN with junk packets. Shows up as abnormally flashing link activity lights.

No, the PCs in question didn't even have wireless adapters prior to buying the AE1000's.

Otherwise, maybe client bridge is in 11b mode with RTS/CTS slowing things down?

It's configure for G-only. I've been playing around with it - if I had to venture a guess as to what is happening, I'd say the 4-port switch is going bad electrically. The slowness is being caused by intermittent duplex mismatches. I've been able to induce the problem (and temporarily fix it) by fiddling with speed and duplex settings on the PC adapters.

I had a cheap D-Link switch fail in such a way that it caused bad/corrupted packets on the LAN. Very odd symptoms. I spent a couple of hours diagnosing and troubleshooting, but nothing made sense. Then on a whim I took the switch out of the system and all was cured. Put it back (after power cycling), still bad. Replaced it. Opened up the D-Link box and there were bulged electrolytic capacitors - meaning the power for the switch was probably bad, 60Hz hum, etc.

Hindsight is wisdom - the switch ran too hot for weeks and weeks.

I had a cheap D-Link switch fail in such a way that it caused bad/corrupted packets on the LAN. Very odd symptoms. I spent a couple of hours diagnosing and troubleshooting, but nothing made sense. Then on a whim I took the switch out of the system and all was cured. Put it back (after power cycling), still bad. Replaced it. Opened up the D-Link box and there were bulged electrolytic capacitors - meaning the power for the switch was probably bad, 60Hz hum, etc.

Hindsight is wisdom - the switch ran too hot for weeks and weeks.

Yeah, this Zyxel was a great little box but I used it 24x7 for 5+ years. It's just had it but I can't complain considering I paid $30 for it.