What's new

[Experimental] WireGuard for HND platform (4.1.x kernels)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I wish PIA VPN would be bring wireguard!!! Would be interested to try it out.

I set up the wireguard server and it works, but is it possible to route all traffic from connected wireguard clients through an active VPN client connection (VPN client configured in VPN settings tab)?

Yes. This is my configuration. Router proxies all data (except for a few isolated machines) through wireguard VPN, and external clients connect to router via OVPN.
Would've liked to do both via wireguard, but I wasn't able to figure out how to run a wireguard client and server on the router without issues.

Was curious if anyone has attempted to try Wireguard on AX88U yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. This is my configuration. Router proxies all data (except for a few isolated machines) through wireguard VPN, and external clients connect to router via OVPN.
Would've liked to do both via wireguard, but I wasn't able to figure out how to run a wireguard client and server on the router without issues.

Would you be willing to share some screenshots of your server and client configurations? Please hide any of your personal data.

Thanks in advance!

I wonder if it would be possible to adapt the installation instructions to use in a router with Asuswrt-Merlin and NordVPN. So far, it looks like it can only be tried on devices that use Linux, Ubuntu, etc.
Code:
@RT-AC86U-69B8:/tmp/mnt/ssd/movie# ./nordvpn set technology NordLynx
Technology is successfully set to 'NordLynx'.
@RT-AC86U-69B8:/tmp/mnt/ssd/movie# ./nordvpn c
Please enter your login details.
Email / Username:

Maybe need a few more steps, but I can't proceed now because I don't have an account.

Code:
@RT-AC86U-69B8:/tmp/mnt/ssd/movie# ./nordvpn set technology NordLynx
Technology is successfully set to 'NordLynx'.
@RT-AC86U-69B8:/tmp/mnt/ssd/movie# ./nordvpn c
Please enter your login details.
Email / Username:

Maybe need a few more steps, but I can't proceed now because I don't have an account.

Thank you for attempting this! I guess I will make it my weekend project!

Thank you for attempting this! I guess I will make it my weekend project!

Yes, please let us know. I'm interested as well but I don't have the time and maybe not the wherewithal.

Somewhat off-topic, but I recently picked up a AX88U to play around with and figured I'd give wireguard a shot there as well.
No issues with entware, diversion, or anything else, but can't get wireguard to setup properly even with the same config on an AC86U with Merlin 384.13.

Basic info: AX88U Asus-Merlin 384.13 with kernel 4.1.51 and wireguard_0.0.20190702-1_aarch64-3.10

Comes up with the following upon start:

insmod: can't insert '/opt/lib/modules/wireguard.ko': invalid module format
RTNETLINK answers: Operation not supported
Unable to modify interface: Protocol not supported
Cannot find device "wg0"
Cannot find device "wg0"
ifconfig: SIOCSIFMTU: No such device
ifconfig: SIOCSIFTXQLEN: No such device
Unable to access interface: Protocol not supported
need at least a destination address
Cannot find device "wg0"
Cannot find device "wg0"

I get the package was built for AC86U; my assumption (probably falsely) is that the basic entware file structure would be the same and there wouldn't be an issue installing the kernel module, etc.
Seems not to be the case though.

Any thoughts on whether it's possible to adapt this for similar routers, or is it specific to AC86U only?

Somewhat off-topic, but I recently picked up a AX88U to play around with and figured I'd give wireguard a shot there as well.
No issues with entware, diversion, or anything else, but can't get wireguard to setup properly even with the same config on an AC86U with Merlin 384.13.

Basic info: AX88U Asus-Merlin 384.13 with kernel 4.1.51 and wireguard_0.0.20190702-1_aarch64-3.10

Comes up with the following upon start:

insmod: can't insert '/opt/lib/modules/wireguard.ko': invalid module format
RTNETLINK answers: Operation not supported
Unable to modify interface: Protocol not supported
Cannot find device "wg0"
Cannot find device "wg0"
ifconfig: SIOCSIFMTU: No such device
ifconfig: SIOCSIFTXQLEN: No such device
Unable to access interface: Protocol not supported
need at least a destination address
Cannot find device "wg0"
Cannot find device "wg0"

I get the package was built for AC86U; my assumption (probably falsely) is that the basic entware file structure would be the same and there wouldn't be an issue installing the kernel module, etc.
Seems not to be the case though.

Any thoughts on whether it's possible to adapt this for similar routers, or is it specific to AC86U only?
u wasted ur money, can only work on AC86U.

If it works on the RT-AC86U, then I see no reason for it not to work on the RT-AX88U.

u wasted ur money, can only work on AC86U.

I wouldn't call it a waste. I'm pretty happy with it.
Laptop's wifi speed even just locally is about 1.5x (picked up a AX1650 as well).
The wireguard thing is just a minor, temporary setback.

And I agree with Merlin--conceptually there shouldn't be a reason why wireguard can't work with the AX88U.
The logs suggest an adapter name might've been changed or something because it has 8 ports instead of four, or possibly compiled for a different kernel since the issue is primarily a missing kernel module, but all the basic pre-reqs are there.
It's just a matter of speaking with the package compiler to sort out the difference.

The RT-AX88U kernel is slightly different -4.1.51 vs 4.1.27.