What's new

[Experimental] WireGuard for HND platform (4.1.x kernels)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi

I've managed to make my wireguard sever in asus ac86u connect the tunnel,but is not working.

I mean, I have tunnel stablished,handsake works and command wg in the router shows me that the client is connected,and log in the client says that tunnel is enabled and handsakes and all stuff is working,plus I have data send and received.

the problem,is that if I try to search internet or even try to acces the router's main page,it won't work.

proably something is blocking my tunnel to connect to any local or non-local server

¿any thoughts?
a) Do you have a DNS entry in your client config?
b) Are the lines in the correct order? It can make a difference.
Something like this....
[Interface]
PrivateKey = ????????????????????
Address = something like 10.10.0.11/24
DNS = 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.50.1 or your router IP

[Peer]
Endpoint = xx.xx.xx.xx:number
PublicKey = ????????????????????
AllowedIPs = 0.0.0.0/0
PersistentKeepalive = 25

a) Do you have a DNS entry in your client config?
b) Are the lines in the correct order? It can make a difference.
Something like this....
[Interface]
PrivateKey = ????????????????????
Address = something like 10.10.0.11/24
DNS = 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.50.1 or your router IP

[Peer]
Endpoint = xx.xx.xx.xx:number
PublicKey = ????????????????????
AllowedIPs = 0.0.0.0/0
PersistentKeepalive = 25
mmm. maybe is cause I'm using the cloudflare dns (1.1.1.1) I've used this in other wireguard server configurations (on raspberrys with ubuntu) and never get me problems so thought It will be fine

amtm started offering updates for wireguard-tools. Is that ok to use? @Odkrys

wgtoolsupdate.png

what VPN providers gives wireguard config files to use with the router? most of the big providers don't support it yet to my understanding. is that right?
Many VPN providers have started supporting WireGuard... it is catching on slowly...

I tested the WG on RT-AX86U with Merlin 386.1_beta3. Following message was appear:
modprobe: can't load module xt_set (kernel/net/netfilter/xt_set.ko): unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter
WG is not compatible with new Merlin firmware.

I tested the WG on RT-AX86U with Merlin 386.1_beta3. Following message was appear:
modprobe: can't load module xt_set (kernel/net/netfilter/xt_set.ko): unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter
WG is not compatible with new Merlin firmware.

@Odkrys : I guess we need a new updated build...

Hi,
I have an AX88U and i have follow the setup from this topic and another blog - but NO TRAFFIC :(

This is my wg status :
interface: wg0
public key: xxxxx
private key: (hidden)
listening port: 40014

peer: xxxxx
endpoint: 172.xxxxxxxx:1337
allowed ips: 0.0.0.0/0
transfer: 0 B received, 148 B sent
persistent keepalive: every 25 seconds

received stay at 0B :(
How check the log ?
How validate if i'm correctly connected ?

Hi,
I have an AX88U and i have follow the setup from this topic and another blog - but NO TRAFFIC :(

This is my wg status :

received stay at 0B :(
How check the log ?
How validate if i'm correctly connected ?

Ok i have found the issue...is the endpoint the problem - when i change server to another is working well.

For users want to using PIA - i use this script to generate the config :)

regards,

Ok i have found the issue...is the endpoint the problem - when i change server to another is working well.

For users want to using PIA - i use this script to generate the config :)

regards,
You got this working with PIA VPN? I would like to try it but seems a little too complicated for me. I'm currently using built-in OpenVPN (RMerlin) and PIA.

You got this working with PIA VPN? I would like to try it but seems a little too complicated for me. I'm currently using built-in OpenVPN (RMerlin) and PIA.

Yes is working with PIA. but I have try with 2 locations - one not working (no received traffic) another one is working well. but the support say is not supported actually.

I have try Mullvad too. but i’m little disappointed because i never up more 250 Mbps speed with wireguard with mullvad and pia...so i return to openvpn settings with my ax88u - i have 250 Mbps !

who here managed to get better than 250 Mbps with wireguard ? I'm in Canada

Weird situation for me.

I have Mullvad VPN service and i using this vpn with wireguard to force my docker container to using vpn.
Server VPN Mullvad near to me - full power 500/500 Mbps - is my MAX from my Fiber ISP

When i configure SAME server config from ASUS AX88U Wireguard tutorial here....the speed is only 220/220 Mbps

Why ?
I suppose and i know the ASUS AX88U is POWERFULL because with OpenVPN i have 250 Mbps (256AESGCM)

What do you think ?

I poke @RMerlin just to have this expertise - and is from Canada (i think)

@Odkrys, is there an easy way to check which version of the kernel or tools is currently installed on my router? I see that you recently updated the kernel to v.20201221 but I wasn't sure if I was already running that version or not.

Some googling suggested running this command:
Code:
sudo modprobe wireguard

Unfortunately that command didn't work for me.

HI there. So i managed to run wireguard client on my Asus AC86U and it's working great! is there any way to create Client 2/ Client 3 on the same router? in other words, i am using Policy-Based Routing feature to route only certain devices through the VPN. However, since it's all being done manually in order to add or remove one device you have to SSH and change it in routing policy file.However, if i could just turn off Client 1 and then turn on client 2 with different devices that would be much easier. do you think it's possible?
thanks

How does one create a wireguard config file for PIA? I’m a current subscriber and thinking about getting one of these (GL-MV1000) to hook up to my 86u. I know you can setup wireguard on 86u but it’s way beyond my comprehension and I don’t want to wreck my 86u. If there was a step by step guide I’d give it a go. But, I cannot find one. If anyone can help with a config file I’d appreciate the help!

How does one create a wireguard config file for PIA? I’m a current subscriber and thinking about getting one of these (GL-MV1000) to hook up to my 86u. I know you can setup wireguard on 86u but it’s way beyond my comprehension and I don’t want to wreck my 86u. If there was a step by step guide I’d give it a go. But, I cannot find one. If anyone can help with a config file I’d appreciate the help!

https://github.com/hsand/pia-wg

Read my post above, i have already done with PIA and Wireguard - but is not FULL supported by PIA actually.
You can use the pia-wg https://github.com/hsand/pia-wg for try if working for you

Hey guys,
I have recently purchased AX86U, followed the tutorial successfully installed VPN and got it running, however with only one small issue.
I cannot get a speed higher than 5Mbps, when my fiber is 1Gbps and works at most of it without wireguard on, I am thinking whether there are some extra options to tweak, as I have read people manage to get 400Mbps plus on this router. (Using Mullvad as i Do)

Thanks in advance!

I was confused because the S50wireguard file was moved into the /etc/wireguard/ folder rather than the /etc/init.d/ folder. So when I followed the tutorial on the first page I wasn't getting it to work. Just in case someone runs into the same problem.