What's new

Express VPN firmware via 68 U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

royarcher

Very Senior Member
Since I have been using an express VPN router ( RT AC 68 U) which is about 2/3 months, I have had maybe two dropouts. The speed has gone from about 5 Mbps to about 30 Mbps. I am using the same locations , either la 3 or Atlanta, that I used to use VIA my RT AC 88 U so how do they do it? I am, obviously, not very knowledgeable about this stuff but I am impressed. What's the difference between an express VPN router and an express VPN location via either Merlin firmware or Asus stock firmware? I would have thought that a VPN tunnel is what it is so how do they increase the speed so much?
PS I only pay for 50 Mbps so again I am impressed

Last edited:
I don't know what you were using for firmware before, or why it was down to 5Mbps, but for that particular router, ~30Mbps is its *normal* upper limit. I should know. I've been using the RT-AC68U for YEARS, and that's exactly what I typically have seen over that time. It's one of the reasons a couple years ago I moved my OpenVPN client to a small form-factor PC. Now I'm limited by the VPN provider (most I've ever seen is ~230Mbps from a variety of VPN providers, w/ ExpressVPN specifically in the 80-85Mbps range). That's w/ an ISP provided ~600Mbps.

So it sounds to me more a case of something wrong w/ the old firmware/configuration than any credit due to the new Express VPN firmware.

P.S. If you use DD-WRT and WireGuard (one of the best implementations available at this time), I've seen as much as 111Mbps w/ that router.