What's new

Extend or replace

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dalla

New Around Here
Extending my house and need better coverage. Today I have one rt-ac2900 and one rt-ac68u in a aimesh. The house is now in total 250 square meters with basement and a 700 sqm garden. There are some blind spots and need one more node. Otherwise the speed is ok from my 250/250 ISP

Should I future and replace all or is it ok to replace the main router with an AX? Or should I go for a new mesh with 3 nodes? Eg. 3x TP-Link Deco x50 is almost the same price as one ASUS RT-AX86U.

Thanks!

For those ISP speeds (and, if you're not expecting those speeds to surpass ~600Mbps, symmetrical), an ideal match may be the RT-AX68U for the main router (and adding the current routers as nodes, if needed).

The RT-AX86U is a great router, but for those ISP speeds, not needed when you're already considering having multiple routers in AiMesh config too.

If the answers to the questions above indicate the better router, the RT-AX86U or the GT-AX6000 should be on your short list too.

For those ISP speeds (and, if you're not expecting those speeds to surpass ~600Mbps, symmetrical), an ideal match may be the RT-AX68U for the main router (and adding the current routers as nodes, if needed).

The RT-AX86U is a great router, but for those ISP speeds, not needed when you're already considering having multiple routers in AiMesh config too.

If the answers to the questions above indicate the better router, the RT-AX86U or the GT-AX6000 should be on your short list too.
Thanks!
So it is worth continue adding nodes to my aimesh instead of building new?

Cheapest option - one more AC68U even used and you can continue using what you already have for few more years. If you want to upgrade to AX - drop mix and match AiMesh with close to end of support routers and get a new 3-pack system you like and fits your budget.

Thanks!

I don't know. You didn't reply to my implied questions. ;)

But overall, yes, it is usually worth adding nodes. Be sure you put the newest, most hardware capable router as the main router though.