What's new

Extend Wi-Fi Coverage

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

fenguix

Occasional Visitor
Hi! I'm using a RT-AX86U Pro with a VPN server (with VPN direction rules for a specific client) and and VPN server to connect when i'm out a not much more things.
But my apartment looks like has lead walls with Wi-Fi coverage. (I always has problems with older routers too).
So, I need to expand Wi-Fi signals round, no need for Wi-Fi 6 all around at all, but a good 2.4 wi-fi at least!.
My plan is to send a cable trough the walls to other room and put "something" there to work in a mesh environment, not AP mode, a good mesh.
The question is, which mesh router/repeater do you recommend me to put there? The plan is "just improve wifi signal" so everything is going to be managed by my main AX86U router of course.
I also understand, if I'm not wrong, that I don't need to flash that extra router/extension to Merlin or anything as it will work only as a mesh WiFi point, correct?
I saw selling here "cheaps" extensions like ASUS RP-AX56 and RP-AX58 and ZenWifi AX Mini (XD4)...... will any of these with their standard Asus firmware work ok as mesh with my Merlin AX86U main router??
Which one do you recommend?
Or it will be better (or required) to use a better router that can be able to be flashed with Merlin too, like the RT-AX58U V2?
Thanks!!!!

I sent two AX58U's back. Something about them did not seem right. They were refurbished and maybe a new router would have been better.
I recommend an AX86S or AX86U. I also recommend using Asus firmware.

Thanks! But another AX86 is a very expensive and probably "too much" router just to broadcast Wifi signal for some normal clients (some phones, lights, maybe a tablet).... that´s why I´m looking for a simple wifi extension but working as a mesh for not having disconnections in the middle. For example, the vacuum robot needs to have consistent wifi in all the rooms, as if it loose signal even reconnecting in another "same name AP" it says connection problems. So that robot needs a mesh system to don´t have problems (yes, I know, not very smart robot),

So that robot needs a mesh system to don´t have problems
Since you did such a test, use a mesh that did not give you a problem.

Otherwise use real AP, not mesh (e.g. Omada: EAP115 or EAP115-Wall for WiFi 4, EAP225 or EAP235-Wall for Wi-Fi 5 etc.).

Well, that´s why i want to setup a mesh with this new RT-AX86U Pro (with Merlin) and one extra router/repeater that works ok in mesh with this Asus. To use as an AP I can use my old router as AP point, but that´s not a mesh system as I like to have for easy roaming between nodes.

AiMesh does not provide easy roaming.
If you want a really easy roaming, use only few Omada EAPs with the OC200 controller (without Asus WiFi).
Look for 802.11k/v.

Last edited:
Hi! I'm using a RT-AX86U Pro with a VPN server (with VPN direction rules for a specific client) and and VPN server to connect when i'm out a not much more things.
But my apartment looks like has lead walls with Wi-Fi coverage. (I always has problems with older routers too).
So, I need to expand Wi-Fi signals round, no need for Wi-Fi 6 all around at all, but a good 2.4 wi-fi at least!.
My plan is to send a cable trough the walls to other room and put "something" there to work in a mesh environment, not AP mode, a good mesh.
The question is, which mesh router/repeater do you recommend me to put there? The plan is "just improve wifi signal" so everything is going to be managed by my main AX86U router of course.
I also understand, if I'm not wrong, that I don't need to flash that extra router/extension to Merlin or anything as it will work only as a mesh WiFi point, correct?
I saw selling here "cheaps" extensions like ASUS RP-AX56 and RP-AX58 and ZenWifi AX Mini (XD4)...... will any of these with their standard Asus firmware work ok as mesh with my Merlin AX86U main router??
Which one do you recommend?
Or it will be better (or required) to use a better router that can be able to be flashed with Merlin too, like the RT-AX58U V2?
Thanks!!!!
I'm using the RP-AX58 in backhaul mode with the AX86s as the main Router. Works fine for me

but that´s not a mesh system

Asus AiMesh is a marketing name of wired APs or wireless Repeaters with very limited control. You are not getting “seamless“ roaming. It has nothing to do with Asuswrt-Merlin firmware. It’s a stock Asuswrt firmware feature. There are better home “mesh” systems on the market.

You can try using RT-AX58 or e.g. cheap RT-AX55 or RT-AX58U. However, they will not allow you to use VLAN in the future (with RT-AX86 Pro) and in my opinion will perform worse than real APs.

Asus AiMesh is a marketing name of wired APs or wireless Repeaters with very limited control. You are not getting “seamless“ roaming. It has nothing to do with Asuswrt-Merlin firmware. It’s a stock Asuswrt firmware feature. There are better home “mesh” systems on the market.
So they don´t work as mesh? I had a mesh home system from TP link a few years ago and worked very well.
Which betters mesh system do you recommend for home? I don´t need more than one besides my main router. IT´s a small apartment, with heavy walls yes, but only a 100 sq.m flat.

So they don´t work as mesh?

This word "mesh" replaced "range extender", mostly marketing. Some Qualcomm based home sets work better because they adjust dynamically the transmit power and you can place them closer or further and they adapt. Some business systems like Omada track the clients and do the same thing to encourage switching to closer AP. Asus AiMesh on Broadcom based routers has none of this. You may get sticky clients and clients never connecting to your "node". There is also no "seamless roaming". The fastest systems switch in few seconds and it depends on the client as well. You can find around people using Asus routers for the easy GUI with many features and TP-Link Omada, Google Nest Wifi (Pro), Amazon eero (pro), Ubiquiti UniFi, Zyxel APs, Cisco APs, etc. There is a good reason. Your TP-Link was perhaps Deco series and some work better than AiMesh indeed.

If you can use wires your best option is single router placed in more central location in your apartment.

Thanks for que explanation @Tech9 .... so I'm a victim of they marketing efforts I believe jajaja.
Yes, I had the Deco series with PLC backhaul and it was ok with few clients but with 20 or more it got saturated, probably very low hardware specs of course.
I mean, worked ok but not good speeds at all in the nodes, probably because the PLC backhaul working sometimes ok and sometimes not.
Can´t move the router to a more central location, also I have it where "most importante devices" are. That´s why I don´t care if extension is not so fast enough, I'm even ok if extension is 2.4 net! (I´d love to be Wifi 5 or 6 of course but not priority). The main priority is as smooth roaming as possible. That´s why looking for mesh (or any other name of course) way to add more wifi coverage at the other end of the flat.
Do you think that putting a simple Asus extender like RP-AX56 will make clients loose connection when moving from one room to another and/or trying to keep connecting to main router even when signal is almost dead and extender has better signal?
Thanks!

Since it's environment and clients specific there is only one way to find out - get one from a place with good return policy and try it. On your Asus router you can play with main unit Tx power and Roaming Assistant. There will be short reconnections and sticky clients with every home "mesh" system, but hopefully the clients you have work in acceptable way. This extender is AiMesh compatible, try it both ways as stand alone and part of AiMesh and see what works better for you. Most likely there will be no difference though.

Yes, that is what I was thinking.... try it and fingers crossed to work "ok", no need to be super, but "ok" is good.
Thanks!!!

When you plug it in give the clients some time to realize there is an alternative AP to connect to.

UPDATE: Testing with a RP-AX58 and so far so good.... clients roams without issue and awesome coverage in every room (ethernet backhaul of course).
Thanks to all!!!
Captura de pantalla 2023-06-11 a las 1.23.48.png

Good to hear it is working well for you. Cheers! :)

Sometimes weaker "node" fits better the environment. My next recommendation was to experiment with Wi-Fi channels because in some countries lower channels are restricted to 200mW and main + node start working better together at lower power each. When the main unit pushes 900mW and the node is weaker the clients tend to stick to the main unit. Nest, eero, Deco, etc. "mesh" sets solve this problem automatically. AiMesh needs some help.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!