What's new

Extend WiFi signal to garage outside

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ErrantAngel

New Around Here
Hi there,

I have the main AP in the house and a very cheap tp-link router in the garage outside. It is only 2.4 ghz.

As you can imagine the signal is spotty.

What would be a good way to strengthen the signal. Running an ethernet cable is not an option.

Should I purchase a repeater and place it half way? The connection just needs to work for emails and light browsing so does not need to be very good.

Is there a way I can avoid buying the extender and just make an antenna? Where would I connect it and if you can provide any further technical details I would be grateful.

The router in the garage is a TP LINK-WR741ND 150mb Wireless

Could I connect the antenna to the antenna on the device?

The main router is an Asus ac68u

Thank you.

Just move the 'cheap' TP-Link router closer to the main routers' signal. It will still provide enough usable signal for garage use too. :)

Hi there,

I have the main AP in the house and a very cheap tp-link router in the garage outside. It is only 2.4 ghz.

As you can imagine the signal is spotty.

What would be a good way to strengthen the signal. Running an ethernet cable is not an option.

Should I purchase a repeater and place it half way? The connection just needs to work for emails and light browsing so does not need to be very good.

Is there a way I can avoid buying the extender and just make an antenna? Where would I connect it and if you can provide any further technical details I would be grateful.

The router in the garage is a TP LINK-WR741ND 150mb Wireless

Could I connect the antenna to the antenna on the device?

The main router is an Asus ac68u

Thank you.

How far is the garage from the house router/AP?

You could put an RT-AC86U in the house. If that doesn't do it, disable Smart Connect and set different SSIDs per band and fixed non-DFS channels, and add the existing AC68U as a wireless AiMesh node in the garage.

OE

It is 75 metres (246 feet) from router (ac68u) to router (tp-link). My apologies to the poster above me but I don't really understand your explanation :(

Sometimes I can connect to the ac68u and sometimes not. Maybe I can place it higher?

The cable port is in the room that the Asus resides in so I can't (and don't want to) move it.

At this point I am thinking repeater.

Okay the consensus online seems to be that repeaters with no ethernet attached are really bad. I can't run an ethernet cable along the floor and we are in lockdown so I can't hire a tradesman.

I forgot to add that about 30 of those 70 metres are outside.

I may just use a repeater with no ethernet until I can get someone to wire the thing.

Cheers for input

Last edited:
Is the power in the garage on the same main breaker panel as the house ?
What is the power standard 120 v US, 240v UK, or ??
If both are on the same main panel (no sub panel at the garage), then consider the most recent ethernet over power line. Place one unit close to the Asus and one in the garage. see if you get a connect using a laptop or pc at the garage. If you do, then all you need might add is a wireless access point of your choice.

If not, then point to point wireless is the most likely bet short of running a cable to the garage. Run an ethernet cable to a window facing the garage. Place one of the extender pairs in a window facing the garage or mount under a roof eave in the same location. Do the same at the garage. Should work without issue on 2.4 GHz unless there is strong interference from neighbors.

you don't want to use the asus wireless bands as this will cut the throughput by half and may affect any 2.4 GHz users in the house. Run cable to the wireless extender instead. You may even be able to use ethernet over power to do this.

This is a good idea. It is 240V. They are all on the same panel.

I can purchase a ethernet over power power kit and just return it if no luck.

Hmmm nice idea. I may just try it and report back to you.

Many thanks.

To expand on my reply.

Move the TP-Link router out of the garage and near a window that faces it, inside the house. You can try this now. :)

The signal available at the garage will be more than adequate, I suspect.

I would be surprised if the garage is on the same service panel (internal wiring) as the main house. I wouldn't put much stock on PLA myself (too variable and flakey in my experience).

If you do add another repeater, the TP-Link you have now is already one, you will be effectively getting less than a quarter of your bandwidth when any client device is requesting data in the garage. Not a recommended solution at all.

Other than hard-wiring, the most reliable solution is a point-to-point wireless bridge using a directional product such as the Ubiquiti NanoStation M5 (2-pack). Not as cheap hardware-wise as some other suggestions, but on the flip side, very little opportunity cost because it's all-but-guaranteed to just work.

If (when) powerline comes up short, I would recommend the above approach for sure.

How far is the garage from the house router/AP?

You could put an RT-AC86U in the house. If that doesn't do it, disable Smart Connect and set different SSIDs per band and fixed non-DFS channels, and add the existing AC68U as a wireless AiMesh node in the garage.

OE

exactly what I did to extend wifi to my shed which I got a wifi cam on. the ac66u_b1 connected to it but only for slow data transfers, and I had to make sure nothing was in its way outside. not enough juice to do a live videos or photos. the ac86u, and also the ax58u at back of house connect flawlessly to it. I'd say its about the OP's distance away.

I got the ac66u_b1 as mesh node now in front of the house for my front doorbell and front yard.

It is 75 metres (246 feet) from router (ac68u) to router (tp-link). My apologies to the poster above me but I don't really understand your explanation :(

Sometimes I can connect to the ac68u and sometimes not. Maybe I can place it higher?

The cable port is in the room that the Asus resides in so I can't (and don't want to) move it.

At this point I am thinking repeater.

Okay the consensus online seems to be that repeaters with no ethernet attached are really bad. I can't run an ethernet cable along the floor and we are in lockdown so I can't hire a tradesman.

I forgot to add that about 30 of those 70 metres are outside.

I may just use a repeater with no ethernet until I can get someone to wire the thing.

Cheers for input

That's pretty far with 120' of structure in between. And your existing network is about EOL. I would upgrade the network before adding pieces to it. Do you have WiFi problems inside the house, like toward the shed end opposite the router?

Spitballing...

AiMesh router AC86U <5.0/2.4> AiMesh node AC68U <2.4> Repeater TL-WR741ND in shed

AiMesh router AC86U <5.0/2.4> AiMesh node AC86U <5.0/2.4> AiMesh node AC68U in shed

OE

So the use of internal wiring did not work and I returned it. I am going to take a look now at that large antennae thing the other poster linked to. Of course I will place the router as appropriately as possible.

I may end up just having to pay for ethernet to be run as restrictions are lifting. Can never beat ethernet.

Thanks for your responses.

After looking at the prices of those antennas, I went with running cheap ethernet out my window, along the floor and through the garden. I now hit my max 50Mbps haha.

Now I just need a way to disguise it.

You may have to do that on a regular basis. It will erode/corrode and be bitten into, regularly, in the garden. :)

Heres a cheap fix.
I had a similar issue with chipmunks chewing the cable coming to the house.
If you have a Menards or Home Depot maybe have this.
Menards has some 1/2 inch thin wall black poly pipe in 100 ft rolls for around 20 bucks.
Its made for in ground sprinkler systems.
Easy to work with and cut. I pushed 50ft of cable thru it no problem.
You will need a fish tape to pull Cat6 though.
Its getting cold and those rolls are a little tuff to work with cold.
Let sit in sun stretched out for an hour or so and it will lay down easier.
Put a dab of silicone in the ends to keep water out.

If you run fiber, you don’t have to be concerned about it.
otherwise, you should follow the NEC guidance.

If you run fiber, you don’t have to be concerned about it.
otherwise, you should follow the NEC guidance.

What is NEC guidance for running Cat6 in the ground in conduit?
How can you protect the Cat6 Ethernet cable That is underground between the two buildings?