What's new

External Access Through Asus Router To Home Network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Gerry Wasiluk

Occasional Visitor
Forgive the very noobish question and understanding level here . . .

For my home network, I have an RT-AC3100 as my main router behind our cable modem. My home NAS on our home network has a serious issue and the manufacturer wants to access it and has given me four IP addresses they will use to come in on. They asked me to set up my firewall to permit this access.

I'm assuming they mean the firewall on the RT-AC3100? If so, how do you set that up with the RT-3100?

TIA.

What NAS do you have and what issues are you experiencing?

Are those IP's coming with any login/passwords too? I don't think I would open up anything like they're asking without some kind of security.

A Synology DS-1513+. And, yes, it requires both an admin login and a remote access code to reach the unit.

I did something really stupid and now have a crashed volume and they need to access it to repair it.

A Synology DS-1513+. And, yes, it requires both an admin login and a remote access code to reach the unit.

I did something really stupid and now have a crashed volume and they need to access it to repair it.

See with them what kind of access they need (SSH? Web?), then forward the appropriate port on your router, and provide them with the login info to your NAS.