What's new

External Antennas>Do I need 3 antennas?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

222fbj

New Around Here
I have a TPlink TL-WR1043ND on order... it has 3 antennas/ports. I will be moving the antennas 1meter away from the router so I can keep the router/wiring hidden, and put the antenna in a location (above my desk)that I hope will help solve some improve some weak signal spots.

What antenna(s) do I need? The TPLink TL-ANT2403N "3dbi" seems like a logical choice. Or, how about the ANT2408C "8dbi"?

btw - are '3 antenna' routers designed for 'one per (xyx) axis' ?

thanks

The 3 antennas are for "MIMO" which is, essentially, transmitting/receiving on antennas separated in space and transmissions separated in time, to try to correct for fading signals due to non-line-of-sight and things moving.

That one meter of coax to move the antennas - 2.4 and more so 5.8GHz are very high frequencies. Coaxial cables at 1m need to be "thick", meaning low loss, where "thick" is 3/8 inch or more in diameter. If you use some cheap skinny coax, like 1/8th inch, the attenuation/losses in the coax, short though they be, are considerable.

I would not move the antennas via coax. I'd reposition the router. Even put it a long distance from the modem, connected by cat5. Put the WIFi router out of sight on top of a book case with something for visual camouflage, or some such.

If you can't do this, then the cure for weak signal spots is to add an Access Point (AP) - which can be a re-purposed old WiFi router. Lots of how-to's on that here in the forum. Connect the AP to the router via cat5 cable if possible, else via HomePlug or MoCA (see that forum).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!