What's new

External HDD Sleep mode doesn't work anymore.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

follower

Very Senior Member
AC86U. 3.0.0.4.386.48260.
External HDD Sleep mode worked without Hibernation option until someday. There is no issue with a PC. It goes to sleep mode with a PC. But it doesn't go to sleep mode with AC86U. HDD spins 24hours a day.:mad:
Turn on Hibernation: doesn't work.
Turn off Hibernation: doesn't work.
Any idea?

USB sleep mode issue is not fixed with a new Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.51255.:mad:
What a horrible garbage company ASUS.

It may be time to move to another platform for your wifi router needs. :)

Or, stop relying on USB connected devices to a home router.

The issue of asd waking up USB HDDs was fixed by Asus quite a few weeks ago. I find it surprising that the fix wouldn't be included in 51255, might be because the fix was implemented right after they finalized that release.

That fix is present in my latest alpha code BTW.

The issue of asd waking up USB HDDs was fixed by Asus quite a few weeks ago. I find it surprising that the fix wouldn't be included in 51255, might be because the fix was implemented right after they finalized that release.

I don't understand why they do that.

I suspect ASUS wants to sell ASUSTOR NAS. That's why they just break USB function on purpose. Newer models like Pro series even have USB 2.0 port compatibility issue. Of course they never fix it.

Last edited:
That logic doesn't compute.

I agree it's strange that they haven't included the fix.

Still doesn't compute to your suspicion/conclusion that Asus is selling ASUSTOR.

Sorry to wake up and old thread — but I am struggling with this issue, and there seems to be no real solution for it. Do I understand you correctly, that this is fixed in the Merlin-firmware? …in any case I just installed the Merlin most recent firmware on my ASUS rt-ax86pro and the issue seems to persist. The same hdd would go into sleep mode on my netgear nighthawk router; so It can’t be the hdd that is causing the problem…

Sorry to wake up and old thread — but I am struggling with this issue, and there seems to be no real solution for it. Do I understand you correctly, that this is fixed in the Merlin-firmware? …in any case I just installed the Merlin most recent firmware on my ASUS rt-ax86pro and the issue seems to persist. The same hdd would go into sleep mode on my netgear nighthawk router; so It can’t be the hdd that is causing the problem…
As I told you in your other thread, it is your drive or drive enclosure. Which Asus firmware did you use on your AX86U Pro?

As I told you in your other thread, it is your drive or drive enclosure. Which Asus firmware did you use on your AX86U Pro?
it is most definitly not the drive. I have used this exact drive in a netgear router — and it powered down just fine when inactive.

I am using firmware 3.0.0.4.388.4_0 and also installed the Merlin version hoping for a fix.

I have had a detailed discussion with “tech9” in another thread who pointed out the firmware in most RT-AX-routers are faulty on this particular thing…

pointed out the firmware in most RT-AX-routers are faulty on this particular thing

No, this is your wrong understanding of how things should work. This is what I pointed out exactly:

If you don't like your current Asus router then revert to your previous Netgear router - problem solved.

⚠️

I am not sure I understand what you mean then. This is not a battle of whether netgear is better than ASUS — I simply pointed out that this disc would go into sleep mode just fine on the netgear router - thus the disc is certainly able to go into sleep mode.

And what do you mean with “my wrong understanding of how things should work”? There is a setting in the ASUS router to activate hibernation for connected usb-hdd. So I activated it — but the disc does not hibernate. How am I understanding it wrong ??