What's new

EZ Printer and Win 8.1 problems

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gbguy71

Occasional Visitor
I couldn't find a solution anywhere, so I thought I'd ask here. I'm running Merlin 3.0.0.4.260.21 on an RT-N66U. I can/have used the EZ Printer setup utility to enable USB printer support on Windows 7 and earlier with Windows 8.0.

(I'm assuming that after) I upgraded to 8.1 64-bit the USB support is not working. The EZ Printer setup utility successfully finishes, but there is no apparent installation of the printer support in Windows and no printer appears in Devices and Printers.

On a Win 7 system after the setup utility finishes I get a popup message that says something like "Installing Device". With Win 8.1 nothing happens after the setup utility successfully finishes. I've looked at the Task Manager to see if I could spot something, but no luck.

Any clues?

TIA

ASUS tech support said that their printer setup utility does not work with Windows 8.1, "but will release it in the near future".

(It would be great if the utility could be an updated to an existing router without a complete reinstall of the total software).

How to update once the fix is available?

I asked ASUS if the utility would be a separate update or would be bundled in a complete release of the router software.

This was their response:

The new MEP utility will be released in a whole new utility package.

Any idea what that means?

Hi,
Mean time, did you installed 64 bit printer driver on the Win 8 machine and try?

Not sure which 64-bit printer driver you are speaking of. The one I downloaded from the router (Merlin 3.0.0.4.260.21 ) worked on Win 8.0 but when I upgraded to Win 8.1 it no longer worked.

Are you referring to some sort of Microsoft printer driver or what?

Hi,
Printer manufacturer's specific Win 8 64 bit driver for your printer model..

Tony,
Thanks but I don't think it would work, as the operating system is not aware that the USB device (printer) even exists. That is the part that is broken.

The router's printer utility does discover that there is a USB printer attached to the router, but it is unsuccessful in configuring the OS make it think that the printer is attached to my computer.

Hi,
Nothing to lose for trying. How can the printer work w/o proper driver? One reason I use WiFi connected printer which also gives full functionality; print, fax, scan.

I don't have win 8 but in win 7 I don't use the utility all I do for printer setup is add new local printer, create new tcip port give it your routers ip address then select have disc to load the printer driver doing it this way works for every machine I have on my network

Only a few find the way; some don't recognize it when they do; some don't ever want to.

FWIW - I checked with ASUS this week. They still don't have an update nor do they have any idea when one will become available. (Actually I'm not even sure that the support guys have ANY contact with the developers).

No I haven't tried the latest RMerlin. I'm happy with the version I have and don't want to go through the disruption of updating unless I knew the problem was solved. The utility is a separate executable on the ASUS site. I'm not familiar with how to determine the fixes in the RMerlin releases to determine if it has been addressed.

The newer release might be worth a try (or I can try the TCP/IP solution suggested earlier).
Have you tried updating to the latest RMerlin firmware?

It might already be fixed in the last 14 months?

http://www.mediafire.com/download/122dt33hdhugd4h/RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_374.39_0-em.zip

Or, you may want to wait for the almost ready to be released .40 version with additional features and security implemented.

You have to be at least willing to test possibilities - not all fixes are advertised, especially if it involves an OS that wasn't around at that time.

If you don't try to help yourself... well, you see where that has gotten you. ;)

Bob,
I decided to try your suggestion, but I have a problem. The printer is connected to my router's USB port (perhaps that is the problem? I hope not, as it only has a USB connection).

Anyway, I put the router's IP address in the "Hostname or IP address:" box, but I'm not sure what to put in the "Port name:" box. Supposedly the Port name is in the format \\PrtServer\Share. The router does not have a hostname, so I tried "\\192.168.1.1\Printer" but that got a "The port name is not valid." message. I then just tried "Printer" but the printer could not be found.

Any suggestions?

I don't have win 8 but in win 7 I don't use the utility all I do for printer setup is add new local printer, create new tcip port give it your routers ip address then select have disc to load the printer driver doing it this way works for every machine I have on my network

Only a few find the way; some don't recognize it when they do; some don't ever want to.

Anyway, I put the router's IP address in the "Hostname or IP address:" box, but I'm not sure what to put in the "Port name:" box. Supposedly the Port name is in the format \\PrtServer\Share. The router does not have a hostname, so I tried "\\192.168.1.1\Printer" but that got a "The port name is not valid." message. I then just tried "Printer" but the printer could not be found.

Any suggestions?
Usually the port is 9100.

Works!!!

Thanks to Bob and NoSubstitute!

First, I want to acknowledge that I was a total bonehead and missed a key point in Bob's message. He said to install a "Local" printer. I read the tcp/ip mention and my brain said "network". So I initially went down the wrong path.

Thanks to NoSubstitute when he gave me a port number.

Bottom line is that it works and my wife is happy (er).

I can confirm that the Asus EZ Printer driver does not work with Windows 8.1. It isn't a problem with Merlin or the Manufacturer's Printer Driver. It's a problem with the Asus EZ Printer utility and Windows 8.1. This is true both for specific model EZ Printer utilities, and the most up-to-date one here (http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/LiveUpdate/Release/Wireless/Printer.zip).

I'm running a fresh install of Windows 8.1 and after installing the EZ Printer driver, I repeatedly experience BSODs attributed to vuhub.sys - the driver installed by the EZ Printer Utility. Google turns up several results of people having this same problem, all leading back to the Asus utility.

I went on Asus Support Livechat today and talked with the representative. They are aware of the issue. In fact, there are five threads on the Asus support forums of people with Windows 8.1 who have crashes after installing the EZ Printer Utility. See here: (https://www.google.com/cse?cx=00854...uhub.sys#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=vuhub.sys&gsc.page=1)

Anyway, they are aware of the issue and hopefully will be issuing an update at some point. Until then, it's best to connect the printer through the LPT port (follow the OTHER instructions on Merlin to do this).

Anyway, they are aware of the issue and hopefully will be issuing an update at some point. Until then, it's best to connect the printer through the LPT port (follow the OTHER instructions on Merlin to do this).

Running into this issue right now. What exactly to you mean by the "OTHER instructions on Merlin". Could you please point me to a link? Thanks!!

Nevermind, just followed this and it worked great : https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1004715/

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!