What's new

Factory Default Reset requirement when upgrading AC88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nkchri2

New Around Here
I have had my AC88U for over 2 years. When I first purchased I guess I updated to merlin firmware shortly after (so also more than 2 years). I successfully flashed to 380.7 just because it said I needed to, just in case, and then successfully flashed to 384.19. Router is up and running fine. In the instructions it says updating the AC88U from stock firmware to 384/NG will require a factory default reset due to the change in how admin passwords are stored. As I said, I upgraded to merlin just after purchased over 2 years ago so I wasn't upgrading now from stock. Does that invalidate the need for me to reset now? Or do I still need to do a factory reset due to security issues relating to how the admin password is stored?

I have had my AC88U for over 2 years. When I first purchased I guess I updated to merlin firmware shortly after (so also more than 2 years). I successfully flashed to 380.7 just because it said I needed to, just in case, and then successfully flashed to 384.19. Router is up and running fine. In the instructions it says updating the AC88U from stock firmware to 384/NG will require a factory default reset due to the change in how admin passwords are stored. As I said, I upgraded to merlin just after purchased over 2 years ago so I wasn't upgrading now from stock. Does that invalidate the need for me to reset now? Or do I still need to do a factory reset due to security issues relating to how the admin password is stored?

I believe if you can login, then the admin password issue does not apply. It's when you can't login that you need to start over with a reset.

OE

Your post isn't clear.

If you just upgraded from 380.7 to 384.19_0, I would be resetting as we speak. :D

Your post isn't clear.

If you just upgraded from 380.7 to 384.19_0, I would be resetting as we speak. :D

I upgraded firmware from XXXX to 380.7. Upgrade completed
I upgraded firmware from 380.7 to 384.19. Upgrade complete, I can log in to my router, operation seems to be normal.

Is there actually a reason for me to factory default reset as suggested if I am not experiencing any issues?

The reason is you went from 380.7 to 384.19_0. :)

Your call. I wouldn't be overthinking this.

My reasoning? I'd rather pick the place and time to ensure the router/network is stable. Surprises from networking infrastructure are never good.

Installation · RMerl/asuswrt-merlin.ng Wiki · GitHub

While it is generally not necessary to restore to factory defaults, it's not a bad idea, especially if there is a big jump in version number (e.g. from 112 to 178).

And this jump wasn't from .7 to .19, this was a jump from 380.xxx to 384.xxx, which is too many changes and possible (bad) interactions for me to envision from that very old firmware to last summers'.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gar
If you're sure it's working OK then leave it be, but if there are issues the reset may be a good place to start.

Thanks for the input everyone. I was mainly asking just because I wasn't exactly sure what all the factory default reset suggestion accomplished, and I didn't want to leave some big security exploit open just because I didn't reset right when I upgraded. I'm just going through all this right now because I just relocated my router and in the process I just figured it was well past time to update (and since we have had some signal dropping issues lately). Since I have also seen some posts about issues from factory resetting, I think I'm just going to stick with the old saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". I'll just keep in mind to try resetting first if any issues arise.

Thanks!

If I were in your shoes I'd wait for 386 to drop and save my upgrade and reset and everything until then.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!