What's new

Fans

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

royarcher

Very Senior Member
Do after market fan's actually help? I have two routers, one is an rt AC 88 u and the other is the 68 u v 3 . Both have after market fan's on them which do work,as in they keep my system cool, 😎 but they get noisy after a while and won't shut up until I clean them.
I can actually live with the noise but I am can't live with my war office's nagging to shut them of or UNO,, out the window they go.
So my question is,,, Do they actually extended the life of the routers or is it all crap and they will probably last just as long as if they weren't there??

Unless they are in an unusually high temp location, those particular routers should not require extra cooling.

As @Smokey613 said, should not require.
My casual observance of my AC86's temps seems to point towards it being very happy around 78-80C for CPU - I think that's where the oscillator crystal timing everything is most accurate by design.
If you think your routers are getting too hot, maybe you should take a look at how well they're breathing (have you dusted them, checked their air passages?) and take into account the general airflow around them where they're located - if they're near the ceiling in a room the sun pounds into through uncovered windows, the ambient temps may make it difficult to dissipate the heat they generate. Pushing MORE warm air through them in that case may only make any problem worse.

I think that's where the oscillator crystal timing everything is most accurate by design.

No, this temperature is a result of cost cutting wherever possible - less metal, less metal work, cheaper materials and reused parts from the previous model - the minimum that works without the CPU hitting thermal throttling. Your specific model is made cheaper than RT-AC1900P and is less reliable.

Pushing MORE warm air through them in that case may only make any problem worse.

No, in this case the faster the fluid moves the more thermal energy is taken away. Slow fan behind RT-AC86U drops the CPU temperature 15-20C.

I managed to quieten my fans. I took it of and sprayed the crap out of them with WD 40 and let it dry out and they're back to new, for now at least.
You just gotta love WD 40 don't you. A million uses in an aresol can

Not the best solution and only temporary relief. Replace the fans with better quality ones. I had 2x 12V fans running on 5V on one of my RT-AC86U routers. They were barely noticeable in a very quiet room and only right next to the router. You need just a little air movement for better cooling.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!