What's new

Farm Wifi equipment choice

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

:) using channel 11 off main unit with other sapido ap's running channel 3 and 6
Thanks to the forum and to Jeff Keenan

Why are you running channel 3? It dramatically overlaps 6. You should be using 1.

Why are you running channel 3? It dramatically overlaps 6. You should be using 1.

Howdy,
oops,:eek: they are at channels 1 and 6. The 2 farthest ones are direct opposite directions, so they are both using channel 1 since they do not interfere with each other since they are about 5000ft apart

Howdy,
oops,:eek: they are at channels 1 and 6. The 2 farthest ones are direct opposite directions, so they are both using channel 1 since they do not interfere with each other since they are about 5000ft apart

Okay :) that makes a lot more sense. The ONLY channel plans that should ever be used for 2.4GHz Wi-Fi are either 1,6,11 or 1,5,9,13 (which are non-overlapping for 802.11g and 802.11n modes). It's actually better to have two APs on the same channel than to have them on overlapping channels, even "minimally overlapping channels." I've seen large-scale, professional networks on 1,4,7,11 and 1,4,8,11 - the idea being having 4 channels is better as long as they only minimally overlap. Actual testing, by many sources, has proved even that untrue. Two APs beside each other both on channel 1 will actually get better performance than say, one on 1 and one on 4. On the same channel they can avoid each other to some extent, on overlapping channels, they're pure noise.

Honestly - 802.11 and 802.11b should never have existed (OFDM was done in the form of 802.11a in the 5GHz band from the start and could've easily - though a bit more expensively at first - have been done at 2.4GHz). 1,5,9,13 should have been the *ONLY* channels available (1,5,9 for US/CANADA). But hindsight is 20/20 and there were other 2.4GHz users smaller channel separation allowed one to avoid.

Last edited:
Howdy,
UPDATE
all is working really good. I have added and UPS at each location to keep things up and running smoothly.

Howdy,
UPDATE
all is working really good. I have added and UPS at each location to keep things up and running smoothly.

I've also been very happy with how well the EnGenius product line works for the money, and their customer service is fantastic, second to none.

I wish I had enough laptops to do some proper testing of how well they handle airtime fairness, but I've had no user complaints under even fairly high-stress loads.

Farm Area Networks vis White Space Ethernet Radios

We can probably accomplish this setup for $10-15K installed. We are the only FCC Certified white space radio manufacturer and we invented the Farm Automation Network. Let me know if you're interested.

amancone@ktswireless.com

Howdy,
Total setup for large wifi setup.
500 acre farm, next door farms are 190 acres and 850 acres and 310 acres. So, I do not have any channel interference issues. Main location is high mound over property. Requirements would be outdoor POE access point omnidirectional for omni coverage. barn due south 2300' down hill (approx 4 degree angle) clear shot for outdoor poe bridge(1 computer 1 camera), and another stable due east 1240' down hill (approx 6 degree angle) clear shot for outdoor poe bridge (2 wired powered cameras)

Since the whole setup is new, I would like to stay with the same vendor for compatabilty sake. Sharing resources (main internet access, main server, main printers all at main house with router and 16 port gig switch)
I am open to vendors (engenius, amped, trendnet,etc...) I am not looking at high$$$$$ cisco kind of prices either

Farm Area Networks vis the White Space. Best coverage.

Folks, the new technology is white space. It propagates better than Wi-Fi 2.4GHz, 900MHz, etc. Fewer devices, longer distances, non line of sight covergae and lower cost. No repeaters necessary. amancone@ktswireless.com. We are the world's only FCC Certified white space radio manufacturer.

Okay :) that makes a lot more sense. The ONLY channel plans that should ever be used for 2.4GHz Wi-Fi are either 1,6,11 or 1,5,9,13 (which are non-overlapping for 802.11g and 802.11n modes). It's actually better to have two APs on the same channel than to have them on overlapping channels, even "minimally overlapping channels." I've seen large-scale, professional networks on 1,4,7,11 and 1,4,8,11 - the idea being having 4 channels is better as long as they only minimally overlap. Actual testing, by many sources, has proved even that untrue. Two APs beside each other both on channel 1 will actually get better performance than say, one on 1 and one on 4. On the same channel they can avoid each other to some extent, on overlapping channels, they're pure noise.

Honestly - 802.11 and 802.11b should never have existed (OFDM was done in the form of 802.11a in the 5GHz band from the start and could've easily - though a bit more expensively at first - have been done at 2.4GHz). 1,5,9,13 should have been the *ONLY* channels available (1,5,9 for US/CANADA). But hindsight is 20/20 and there were other 2.4GHz users smaller channel separation allowed one to avoid.

Folks-

Just wanted to quickly chime in here.

If you have the technical expertise to set them up and maintain them, you can create a really great farm wireless network with Engenius or Ubiquiti products. The network described in this thread sounds great.

For folks who don't have the wireless and networking expertise to put these excellent (but fairly complicated) products to use, we offer a simple alternative at Ayrstone Productivity.

The idea with the Ayrstone AyrMesh network is to create a WiFi network that can span (at least a good chunk) of your farmstead and provide good wireless connectivity over a large area.

The system uses "Hubs" (high-power Mesh Access Points) designed and optimized for rural home/business use, not for metropolitan networks, hotels, or public internet access. You attach one to your router (or use an AyrMesh Router), then use additional Hubs (if needed) to extend your network beyond the reach of the first one.

It's still 2.4 GHz (Mark's comments above apply), but it works well out away from congested areas. And, if mounted 25' above any obstructions, the signal goes a shockingly long ways.

Just to be clear: it's not a competitor to Engenius or Ubiquiti or WiliGear (in fact, we use a lot of Ubiquiti hardware in our products, running our own firmware to do the things we do) - they have extremely flexible stuff with all kinds of options that can do an amazing variety of things in the hands of folks who know what they're doing.

Ayrstone builds stuff that has almost no options, works one way to do one thing, and is meant to be simple enough that almost anyone can put it into use immediately to build a farm network.

If you're looking for a way to easily build a good wireless network on a farm, ranch, or other rural property, please take a look at ayrstone.com

Thanks,

Bill Moffitt
Founder and Tech Guy, Ayrstone

Howdy,
The entire farm coverage setup was with;
4- EnGenius EOC2611P’s
3- 19" J-mounts
1- AIR802 12dBi omni-directional antennae
1- Perfect Vision NPR6B non-penetrating roof mount
3- Sapido RB-1732 routers, 1000mw, 2 x 5 dBi ant working as local access points

Total cost was around $775

All is working great too. :)

a lot cheaper than that 10-15K

This is a DIY forum with lots of helpful folks.

Last edited:
Howdy,
All equipment is still working good.
Here is a overhead map of the area. The wifi coverage is actually larger than what I drew around.
Red star is where the 12dbi onmi directional antennae is. The blue triangles are the access points with static ip'd routers each with its wifi on for local wifi. That is for wifi access inside the buildings. While outside, I have access to the main Omni antennae from anywhere on the property.
1. EOC2611P, with a 2ft pigtail connector to the AIR802 12dBi omni mounted on the NPR6B roof mount (2 ½ story building). Set as the main access point
2. EOC2611P CB mode is mounted on a J-hook 18ft off ground (506ft away) with cat5e back to a RB-1732 in access point mode.
3. EOC2611P CB mode is mounted on a pole 7ft off ground (1205ft away) with cat5e back to a RB-1732 in access point mode.
4. EOC2611P CB mode is mounted on a J-hook 18ft off ground (3768ft away) with cat5e back to a RB-1732 in access point mode.
Roof mounted eoc2611P configured in B only, access point, wds client mode clicked,
all other eoc2611P units are configured in B only, client bridge.
The triangle at the top is a distance of 3768ft from the Omni antennae. The picture cut off the bottom location.
Farm%20Wifi%20coverage.jpg

Last edited:
Farm Area Networks vis the White Space. Best coverage.

Folks, the new technology is white space. It propagates better than Wi-Fi 2.4GHz, 900MHz, etc. Fewer devices, longer distances, non line of sight covergae and lower cost. No repeaters necessary. amancone@ktswireless.com. We are the world's only FCC Certified white space radio manufacturer.
B.S.
The first and most professional whitespace manufacturer I know of is Redline Communications. A long lived public company. I've seen their installations, such as video cameras in very rural areas, for security surveillance.
This is not practical for the application and type of user being discussed here. Price, risk, management challenges, etc.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!