What's new

Faster Youtube Loading

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jeepguy_1980

Occasional Visitor
Firewalling IP/subnet mask (or IP range)???

I tried applying this guide to my router by blocking the specified IPs/Ports on the firewall page. But it doesn't seem to have had any impact.

Does anyone know the best way to block these IPs?

Edit:

This IPs I want to block are:
173.194.55.0/24
206.111.0.0/16

The problem I'm having is that I don't know how to block the entire range of IPs, since there isn't an option to enter a subnet mask on the firewall. Does anyone know of a script I can have the router run to block these two IP ranges?

Last edited:
You can block by this rules:

Code:
iptables -A INPUT -s 173.194.55.0/24 -j DROP
iptables -A OUTPUT -s 173.194.55.0/24 -j DROP
iptables -A FORWARD -s 173.194.55.0/24 -j DROP 
iptables -A INPUT -s 206.111.0.0/16 -j DROP
iptables -A OUTPUT -s 206.111.0.0/16 -j DROP
iptables -A FORWARD -s 206.111.0.0/16 -j DROP

Is there any tutorials on how to enter these commands. I asume they are done using telnet. New to all this router tweaking.

Andy.

Is there any tutorials on how to enter these commands. I asume they are done using telnet. New to all this router tweaking.
Hi Andy,

Well, you need to go thru the learning curve:
- Your router runs a stripped down version of Linux: So the basics of Linux usage/management/configuration need to be understood.
- To make the iptables settings permanent you should use the Merlin firmware with the possibility to add user scripts, which will be executed on each reboot of the router: You should to flash the latest Merlin firmware - need to learn how to do this.

But: First of all you have a good forum here, where you can find the things you need by searching it and then asking specific questions.
And: You can google for the Linux basics... :rolleyes:

Merlin is very active in this forum (user RMerlin) and any issues/topics related to his firmware will be answered very fast - or even fixed in his firmware. :D

Finally: You will learn something new, which is always fun! :)

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!