What's new

Fastest Router for VPN?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Probably the next best router to VPN use is RT-AC88U with 1.4 GHz dual-core processor. It looks like it will be a great replacement for AC56U & AC68U.

VPN speed will vary tremendously, we don't know:
- which VPN is OP using
- what's the latency to the server he is connecting to
- which encryption method he is using
etc.

I was getting 76/65Mbps on stock AC56U when I was connecting to the same country server with the latency of 4ms. The further away you connect to, the bigger drop in speed will be noticeable.

I am able to run the AC68U at 1.4Ghz so i dont see the difference really.
Throughput depends on connection and server too. you could have all the CPU and internet bandwidth but it is up to the provider to decide how much bandwidth you get.

We don't regularly test OpenVPN throughput. But we did test the Linksys WRT1900ACS and got 10 - 12 MBytes/sec (80 - 96 Mbps).

We don't regularly test OpenVPN throughput. But we did test the Linksys WRT1900ACS and got 10 - 12 MBytes/sec (80 - 96 Mbps).

Might be an interesting article topic at one point, now that more routers are starting to ship with built-in VPN servers/clients. See what type of VPN technologies various routers offer, and their throughput.

You do realise that if you access home network remotely and than access internet through it that you halve the bandwidth in both available and throughput and even more so with asymmetric internet. You also have to account for routing for internet for VPN clients as well so it than has to do routing, encryption and NAT whereas from LAN it would just have NAT.

My line to ISP is 100/100. Full duplex like most people do. So shall not have the bandwidth going half problem..

you could use multiple cores on 1 interface it restricts itself to one core per connection mainly so things dont flood the router but the compiler/software for it would allow using more cores for a single VPN connection.

An easy way to exploit parallelism is at the level of tcp/ip socket connection _within_ the VPN tunnel. Then for example, if you download two big files at the same time from home through VPN, they reach larger throughput than by downloading one at a time.

Outside the tunnel, one VPN tunnel is sharing a single UDP or TCP connection. How to squeeze multiple inner streams through a single connection is a challenge. OpenVPN can't easily go multithread due to kernel limitation on this.

Mikrotek perhaps faces the same problem and can't go massive parallelism anytime soon. Nature does much better on parallel processing..

wow, this stemmed some great discussions, glad I posted it (even if some is over my head!)

I am running an openVPN CLIENT on PIA, using the Seattle server that, when connected using my PC-based openVPN program, I can max out my internet at 70mbps. However when I chose the same openVPN server, and run the RTN66U-based openvpn client, it maxes out at 8mbps.

Maybe I'll give PPTP a try!

Only client1 is moved to the second core. I currently don't change the affinity of the other clients, so they all run on the first core.

I might eventually alternate them all.

Done.

Some of the Intel Atom CPUs, like the C2558 or c2578, have AES-NI which can apparently pump out OpenVPN at ~400Mbit per core (according to an old pfSense thread).

wow, this stemmed some great discussions, glad I posted it (even if some is over my head!)

I am running an openVPN CLIENT on PIA, using the Seattle server that, when connected using my PC-based openVPN program, I can max out my internet at 70mbps. However when I chose the same openVPN server, and run the RTN66U-based openvpn client, it maxes out at 8mbps.

Maybe I'll give PPTP a try!

Well i have an ac-87 and tried openvpnclient on pia. I also couldn't get beyond 5-7 mbps. When i changed to PPTP it went to 22/45 on a 50/50 fiber link to their newyork server.
So thats an enormous improvement.
I must say i am running two openvpn servers on it. But both don't do very much. Almost never handle any clients.
Either me on server 1 or my father-in-law on server 2.

However when my openvpnclient or the pptp client is on my openvpnservers can't be found from the outside. So this needs more work i guess.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!