What's new

Feasible VPN network setup?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kabal794life

New Around Here
I currently built a pfSense firewall with 4 NIC's.

* WAN
* LAN
* Guest Wireless Network
* OPT2 (Unconfigured)

I was going to make OPT2 my AirVPN Network based on this guide: https://airvpn.org/topic/11245-how-to-set-up-pfsense-21-for-airvpn/

I however wanted to setup a VPN server to allow incoming connections from the internet on this (AirVPN) interface. My question is, from a design standpoint to allow further anonymity, have myself, log in to my VPN server as a client to my "AIRVPN" LAN from the internet, and then in turn use my outbound VPN connection to AirVPN as my VPN tunnel.

Tunnel internet traffic flow:

Client (VPNclient) i.e Coffeeshop/Airport/Unsecured network -> Internet -> pfSense (forward traffic to internal VPNserver:port) -> pfSense (VPN client) -> AirVPN (VPN server) -> Tunneled Internet traffic out.

My intention is to have any device that connects to the VPN server on the AIRVPN LAN from an incoming VPN client connection will have VPN tunneling traffic thru to AirVPN servers.

I know I can have up to 3 concurrent connections with an AirVPN account, but wanted to just configure my clients to my home VPN server or any device at that.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks!

Last edited:
With all the extra hops and encryption you are going to end up with a slow connection.

The farther away you are from your home server the slower the connection is going to be.

Also remember even with a good connection at the coffee shop the primary limiting factor will be the upload speed from your home ISP since all traffic has to be routed back to you using your upload speed and this speed will be reduced by distance and the overhead of your network having to encrypt/decrypt the data.

I personally find it easier and more efficient speed wise to run VPN clients on individual devices when traveling and connecting to public WiFi hotspots.

Use a VPN server at home if you need to connect and have access to files stored on your LAN.