What's new

feature request: Allow Clipboard Copying of MAC addresses, etc.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AppleBag

Regular Contributor
Seems when I need to copy a MAC address from most places, I simply cant. Highlighting the MAC and pressing Ctrl+C does nothing, as well as right-clicking the highlighted MAC and looking for the "Copy" item in the context menu. I've just gritted my teeth for a long time and dealt with it, but it's happened so often that I thought I'd come and finally just ask for the dev to hopefully tweak it? :)

Seems when I need to copy a MAC address from most places, I simply cant. Highlighting the MAC and pressing Ctrl+C does nothing, as well as right-clicking the highlighted MAC and looking for the "Copy" item in the context menu. I've just gritted my teeth for a long time and dealt with it, but it's happened so often that I thought I'd come and finally just ask for the dev to hopefully tweak it? :)
Which firmware version? Which browser? I still use Merlin 380.69_2.

With Firefox at least I can for example:

Network Map, Client Status, I can select (high light) with mouse and use Ctrl-C to copy to clipboard. It's a bit tricky however to keep up the "hilite" in order to successfully copy.

Clients, View list, there you can export the clients info.

In LAN - DHCP Server -> Manually Assigned IP around the DHCP list, there I can select the MAC Address (high light it) and right-click and choose Copy, and Paste it to notepad etc.

Also, in Wireless - Wireless MAC Filter.

Last edited:
On some pages (typically those that add a popup-like window) the right mouse button doesn't work because mouse inputs are intercepted to handle special UI functionality.

Thanks for the help guys. :)

Here's the problem that brought me here to post this thread;

I just purchased a "Smart Power Strip", that allows me to send voice commands through Google Home or Amazon Echo to it. The problem is that nowehre on the device or in it's app does it show the MAC address. I have MAC filtering enabled so I need to first add any device's MAC address first in order for it to be able to connect....

Now, for some reason that I still don't understand, even though I add (in the powerstrip app that connects it to the router) the SSID and passphrase to the router (ASUS RT-AC68U), it won't connect at all... (more on this later).

However, I also have an Apple Airport connected to the router via a network cable; for some reason I'm able to connect it to the network via the Airport; once it was connected I could finally get the MAC to the power strip, but it only showed in the Network Map | Client List. I'm unable to copy the MAC from there (as @RMerlin mentioned). I wanted to copy the MAC to clipboard so I could add it to the DHCP List and MAC Filter, and then try to get it to connect again directly to the router rather than through the Airport (the Airport is a bit far away, with a weaker signal). Also, I was trying to find some sort of info in the system logs in the Merlin software that would hopefully show the MAC of the device trying to connect (even if it failed) so I could get it from there, but couldn't find anything. I was also hoping somewhere in the logs it would show me why it was failing to connect directly to the router, again no luck unfortunately.

So, I ended up writing the MAC down on paper and adding it to the DHCP List & MAC Filter and trying again to directly connect the strip to the router; still no luck. It seems the only way I can get it connected is via the Airport. :(

For the record, I'm using the latest Merlin 384.3 (which I LOOOOOOOVE btw).

??? whats your problem ???

As I sayed go to netmap, clients list and left-click with mouse somewhere on the right and go down till even this new MAC is highlighted (dont release mouse) and press Ctrl-C paste in editor and select only new MAC), sometimes it loose highlight, then move mouse a bit.

Last edited:
Depending on the browser/operating system, sometimes the alternate copy/paste key combos will work where Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V doesn't....
Ctrl-Ins for copy
Ctrl-Shift-Ins for paste

I wanted to copy the MAC to clipboard so I could add it to the DHCP List and MAC Filter,
Is it really that onerous (for a one-off task) to type the MAC address into Notepad and copy it from there?

Also, I was trying to find some sort of info in the system logs in the Merlin software that would hopefully show the MAC of the device trying to connect (even if it failed) so I could get it from there, but couldn't find anything. I was also hoping somewhere in the logs it would show me why it was failing to connect directly to the router, again no luck unfortunately.
Look in System Log > Wireless Log, if it's not there then the device isn't even attempting to associate. If it is there then look in System Log > General Log for any other messages.

Is it really that onerous (for a one-off task) to type the MAC address into Notepad and copy it from there?
What I just described was a one-off task; I need to copy MACs frequently .... I live in a household full of people who want to essentially leave the router completely unprotected, pw's with names of their dog, etc., all so it's painless to get new devices onto the network. I'm wiser than that, and am constantly at war with them because I try to secure the network with MAC filtering, long, complicated passwords, etc., so I'm always trying to make things SEEM as painless and easy to them as if it were essentially unprotected. This means not having to ask them what the MAC addresses are on all these constantly new devices they're adding. They're not real savvy; asking them what their MAC is, is like asking them to describe the Pythagorean theorem to me. Most of the time they have no idea where to even look for it (meaning I have to get my hands on the device myself and dig around for wherever I can find it).

Therefore, being able to find it in logs, and copy/paste it all on my own without even asking them, once they attempt to logon the first time, goes a long way. Not bitching, just explaining my situation.

I see. As previously mentioned some of the interface pages behave differently depending on their function and what firmware you are using. So as before I recommend you try copying fields from the wireless log and syslog pages as they are the first places the MAC addresses will appear.

@AppleBag: you are just help resistent.

Tested with 68U and 86U with merlins last beta1 and beta2 on Firefox and IE and it works.
On main page click client list, then right click anywhere in client list box and click select all, once again right-click and copy.
Now you can paste it in any editor or new mail or whatever and copy only the new device MAC.
All done with mouse only, no keyboard used ...

Sure, not perfect, but easy to do and solves your problem.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!