What's new

Feature Set of AC series vs N series

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

CFoote

Occasional Visitor
Hello All,

I am curious about the feature set differences between the AC series and N series. Right now I'm running a RT-N66U without any issues but was curious what the AC series would get me other than the AC band?

I know the AC series has better hardware specs, but what is the benefit in ASUS's firmware? What features does ASUS add with more processor/memory?

Thanks,

Chris

That is available by comparing the RT-N66U against the change logs of the RT-AC68U, RT-AC87U and the RT-AC3200 products.

Mainly;
USB 3.0 performance.
DPI engine that needs the higher performing SoC's in the newer routers.
QoS engine that works and is more intuitive to setup.
VPN performance that again, needs the better hardware.

What you won't find listed is longer range, faster throughput and a more robust router when the network is heavily used vs. the now over 3 year old RT-N66U.

N versus AC isn't a valid criteria. Features will vary based on the router model, not based on whether it's 802.11n or 802.11ac compatible. Therefore, the only thing sure in this case is that the 802.11ac will support 802.11ac speed.

That's for example the case when comparing the RT-N66U versus the RT-AC66U. The only difference is support for 802.11ac. Everything else is the same, including the CPU used.

You will have to come up with two specific models if you want to know the difference.

Thank you both for the quick responses. My question primarily revolves around QOS, I have a IP phone and I find with the RT-N66U I'm still getting dropouts in conversation when I do simple things such as surfing the web (which I suppose could absorb a fair amount of bandwidth, but still).

I am wondering if a model such as the AC68 would have better QOS than the N66U. Perhaps there's an even better model than the AC68 that has even better QOS.

Merlin FYI, for reference I'm running the latest rev of Johns Fork firmware to keep the power output higher.

Chris

Last edited:
The Adaptive QoS is better at traffic classification, however it's impossible to predict if it will resolve your issue or not. It depends on a lot of factors, including your actual VoIP provider, your ISP, the upstream rate of your ISP, etc...

Thanks Merlin, yes, I heard that the new engine has Adaptive QoS, which among other things requires no rules be setup, correct?

Right now I have set my rules manually and have set them by MAC address, I'll try playing with the priorities (and the bandwidth set with those priorities) to see if I can get things setup a little better.

Do you feel comfortable with the ASUS QOS code in the RT-N66U? It seems to work reasonably well?

Thanks,

Chris

Thanks Merlin, yes, I heard that the new engine has Adaptive QoS, which among other things requires no rules be setup, correct?

Right now I have set my rules manually and have set them by MAC address, I'll try playing with the priorities (and the bandwidth set with those priorities) to see if I can get things setup a little better.

Do you feel comfortable with the ASUS QOS code in the RT-N66U? It seems to work reasonably well?

Thanks,

Chris

I can't really say, I don't use QoS.