What's new

AdGuardHome Few questions about AdGuard Home Install Script

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Old thread - but I recently changed to DietPI on my RPI4 and installed Unbound along with AGH, and now DNSSEC works and passes all tests:

View attachment 51428

Not sure if this is related to the version of Unbound being updated due to now running Debian Bookworm - I know the previous version available in Debian Bullseye was a couple of versions behind.

I don’t think it was anything in my Unbound conf file as I copied that over as well…
This issue has been resolved already. It was a problem with Adguardhome not properly reading the dnssec data from Unbound once DNSSEC was enabled inside AdGuardHome (to be a bit more specific, the EDE data). DNSMASQ, and Pihole consequently had this same issue as well. Overall, it has been resolved across the board.

Last edited:
This issue has been resolved already. It was a problem with Adguardhome not properly reading the dnssec data from Unbound once DNSSEC was enabled inside AdGuardHome (to be a bit more specific, the EDE data). DNSMASQ, and Pihole consequently had this same issue as well. Overall, it has been resolved across the board.

Ah ok.

Is the DNSSEC checkbox in AGH just something that shows the flag in the logs? Or does it also send a DNSSEC request with your lookups?

Are there any patch/release notes for AGH or Unbound that show this issue and subsequent fix?

Ah ok.

Is the DNSSEC checkbox in AGH just something that shows the flag in the logs? Or does it also send a DNSSEC request with your lookups?

Are there any patch/release notes for AGH or Unbound that show this issue and subsequent fix?
The release notes are not as detailed as say for example piholes, but here is one recent fix from adguardhome:

And another one specific for using adguardhome and unbound together :

1688123969849.png

1688124001689.png

Here is a list of some stuff:

Heres piholes :

1688123805668.png

Essentially, dnssec data was being misidentified or misinterpreted.

Last edited:
Actually, the user was getting the two intertwined, thus he did not understand any of it.

View attachment 49483

For adguardhome, You can modify the cache value here:

View attachment 49484

the default value is "4194304bytes" or "4mb" I chose "524288bytes" which is approximately 1/8th the default size. I noticed alot less strain on my RAM at this size (it is still using alot of ram, but the demand dropped). A good amount of cache typically ranges in sizes from 524288 to 2097152 bytes. The fact that AdGuardHome uses 4194304bytes is a bit overkill incomparison the the amount memory it already demands.
Hey,

Do you also use DNSSEC and EDNS in AdguardHome? Or just leave it alone for Unbound to work on its own?

Thanks

Should I even use EDNS? Thanks
That is up to you. Unbound should use it by default since it adds additional support for larger DNS messages, DNSSEC (DNS Security Extensions), and other important DNS features, improving the overall security, performance, and functionality of your DNS infrastructure. But you shouldn't need to enable it on AdGuardHome since the requests from adguardhome to unbound are done locally. If you were sending the request to a non-local resolver (e.g. google), then yes it could be useful. If you are using more than just Unbound in your AdGuardHome upstream section, I would recommend enabling it in AdGuardHome.

That is up to you. Unbound should use it by default since it adds additional support for larger DNS messages, DNSSEC (DNS Security Extensions), and other important DNS features, improving the overall security, performance, and functionality of your DNS infrastructure. But you shouldn't need to enable it on AdGuardHome since the requests from adguardhome to unbound are done locally. If you were sending the request to a non-local resolver (e.g. google), then yes it could be useful. If you are using more than just Unbound in your AdGuardHome upstream section, I would recommend enabling it in AdGuardHome.
Then for me it is disabled. However, I did turn on my DNSSEC option in Unbound.

Thank you for the insight

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!