What's new

Finding my Correct Network/Subnet Mask

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mykdrocks

Occasional Visitor
I have been able to set up my VPN on my router running Merlin, and everything is working great. However, I run into trouble when turning on the "Route all traffic" option with the "Block connections if tunnel goes down" setting. The VPN has instructions on adding their custom info to this field, but this step always breaks things (when this is off, it connects fine).

I think my issue is using their subnet mask info provided on their website. Here is what they say:

"Use 192.168.1.0/24 as the source IP, or replace with your own if your network settings are different"

I'm thinking mine may not be the number above, since it only breaks when I input this. How can I find this for my setup, so the kill switch will also work? I do not want to block just one device, but find a "top layer" number that will force anything/everything connected to this router to connect through the VPN tunnel only (or not connect at all).

What router do you have? What firmware do you have installed?

You may need to post a few screenshots of your setup to get better/faster help.

You may also need to enable/set up DNS Director.

Most Asus routers today have a 192.168.50.1 default IP address.

Most Asus routers today have a 192.168.50.1 default IP address.

Just to add - the Asus default for some would be 192.168.50.0/24

Depends on the device/firmware obviously...

To provide more info (as requested above):

Router is ASUS RT-AC68U
Merlin Firmware 384.7 (and yes, I know this is far from the latest version, but is the one I prefer)

What does one of your devices connect with?

What IP address does the router GUI show on the LAN tab?

What does one of your devices connect with?

I believe it was 192.168.2.254 (if I recall). I can tell you this number is available in the source IP drop down menu. If I select that in the kill switch section of Merlin, name it and "add" then it does work. But I assume it's just for that one individual device (which is progress of a kind at least).

What IP address does the router GUI show on the LAN tab?

I checked the LAN tab, and it's listed as 192.168.2.1. I added this, but it still doesn't work and breaks the connection. I also tried doing a release/renew/flush in cmd, to see if it changed anything, but it still gives me the same number. I also have looped IP ranges I can provide (from the DCHP tab next to Lan, if needed).

So got one individual device working, but would still like a top level setting for all connected devices of the router, if possible (thanks in advance).

So, have you tried 192.168.2.0/24?

Did you reboot after making any changes, then test?

IMO this is critical. One needs to be sure things are the way they're expected to be whenever the equipment starts up.

UPDATE:

Changing the IP to the correct number of the router worked. That was the bottlneck. Both connections (regular and VPN are now connecting fine). Thanks so much for everyone's help!