What's new

Finding my way around Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Oldun

Occasional Visitor
I am a newbie to networking and VPNs. I have just installed ExpressVPN, using OpenVPN, on am Asus RT-AC68U router running Asus-merlin.

I am now trying to tweak the firmware using help from the web but I am having trouble finding some of the settings. For example I cannot find Start-on-LAN?

I have two questions

1. Is there any search facility for the Merlin firmware on my RT-AC68U?
2. Can I download a user guide for Merlin?

Hello AndreiV.

Thanks for your helpful reply.

Yes that page is very helpful but I cannot see anyway to find information on (say) Start-on-WAN. Am I missing something very simple?

Most of the router options are self explanatory. Some of the options present pop-up help if you move the mouse pointer over them and click when a question mark appears.

Untitled.png

I don't know what you're referring to when you say "Start-on-LAN" and "Start-on-WAN". As far as I know there's no such phrase in the firmware. If you are talking about the VPN client there is an option called "Automatic start at boot time" clearly shown.

Most of the router options are self explanatory. Some of the options present pop-up help if you move the mouse pointer over them and click when a question mark appears.

View attachment 35767

I don't know what you're referring to when you say "Start-on-LAN" and "Start-on-WAN". As far as I know there's no such phrase in the firmware. If you are talking about the VPN client there is an option called "Automatic start at boot time" clearly shown.

Thanks for your help.

As stated I am a complete newbie so I am trawling the web for help. Some is obviously more helpful than others.

I think that the information was referring to Auto Start at Boot.

I will now go back a few steps and try to get a better grip on things. I am finding the leaning curve very steep!

Just one further point. I am sure that the options are clearly shown and self intuitive. The problem I having is finding where these options are in the gui.
Thanks

Once you've set up, and then enabled a VPN connection on the router it will (should) return to that enabled state even after a reboot. The idea is that you shouldn't really be needing to dive into the router configuration much at all - it's pretty much set it and forget it!

As for the settings, Merlin is an enhanced version of the Asus firmware, so everything and a bit more is in pretty much the same place as it is in Asus firmware. But it is a bit like learning a language, but with top-down headings to help. It might seem daunting at first, but stick with it, and don't be afraid to continue to ask questions (provided you've already searched to see if someone else already asked them!).