What's new

FIOS 1GB upgrade with ASUS RT-AX82u so no more DNS tables.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Cool Games

New Around Here
My first post about bigger, better, faster...

I just was offered FIOS 1GB so everything needed to be sped up in my LAN.
I added 5 Cat-6 and two cheap 1GB hubs but now there is no DNS for the names of the nodes.

The Verizon Actiontec had an area I could edit to rename or delete names dynamically created as new devices added or dropped.

I can EXPORT the CSV from the RT-AX82u and manually make one LAN node the DNS if I have to.
One Linux machine is 24/7 media & game server and could be used to be the DNS server.

Is that what I'll have to do ?

What "nodes" are you talking about? Do you have multiple routers? Are you using an AiMesh setup?

Were you using the RT-AX82U prior to your speed upgrade or was this added afterwards? Just changing Ethernet cables and adding hubs (by which I guess you mean switches) should have no effect on DNS.

Last edited:
My first post about bigger, better, faster...

I just was offered FIOS 1GB so everything needed to be sped up in my LAN.
I added 5 Cat-6 and two cheap 1GB hubs but now there is no DNS for the names of the nodes.

The Verizon Actiontec had an area I could edit to rename or delete names dynamically created as new devices added or dropped.

I can EXPORT the CSV from the RT-AX82u and manually make one LAN node the DNS if I have to.
One Linux machine is 24/7 media & game server and could be used to be the DNS server.

Is that what I'll have to do ?
IIRC the Merlin firmware supports configuring a local dns using dnsmasq, but there is no support for AX82u. If it is a recent buy maybe you could exchange it for a AX86U

Last edited:
Now using Linux on similar member name.
I had been using the Actiontec that FIOS provided in 2012 which had DNS management.
I am planning to find a way to take the CSV export from AX82u and make the proper config for Ubuntu server for LAN names.
There are only 26 nodes and most are not needing to be found by name so I may just manually edit the systems /et
Am I right to point primary nameserver on Asus AX82u to the LAN DNS server and secondary to WAN nameserver ?

Now using Linux on similar member name.
Sorry, I have no idea what "similar member name" means.

I had been using the Actiontec that FIOS provided in 2012 which had DNS management.
I am planning to find a way to take the CSV export from AX82u and make the proper config for Ubuntu server for LAN names.
There are only 26 nodes and most are not needing to be found by name so I may just manually edit the systems /et
So you're asking about DNS host names. I might be wrong but I don't think the AX82U has an option to export host names.

Am I right to point primary nameserver on Asus AX82u to the LAN DNS server and secondary to WAN nameserver ?
Are you talking about the WAN DNS servers or the LAN/DHCP DNS servers?

Similar is same Avatar and username except UNDERSCORE not SPACE.
The SPACE is a Windows 10 that is running Insider preview and WSL2 for KALI.
I got it for standalone gaming and travel. The UNDERSCORE is my preferred non-standalone game playing Linux system(s).
One Linux system is home LAN server doing home game and media stuff and now DNS for others to be able to continue to interconnect.
A System76 POP!_OS laptop is a hybrid of the two above but not native Windows. It also does Ubuntu Studio for creative artists.

I chose the AX82u for the light show feature and it is in my view with WAVE setting. The AC1900 is back hauled to garage space for "Cool Games" with guests.
The AX82u can export host names on the web based interface.
I use table and cell phone apps that have different screen sizes causing different advantages.
I also can SSH in LAN to sniff around inside the router.
I find no single point for what I need except a JSON that would need script to be DNSMASQ format.

DNS needs the right DHCP host names so when POP/US laptop reboots I can manually restore it's functions in LAN.
I have VNC/VLC on various ARM projects so the server is home central connect point.
When I re-flash them the server keeps the accumulated data that was the ARM project's purpose.

Add a few smart TV's and Nvidia Shield TV and the media is by name provided by the LAN DNSMASQ on server.

I hope this helps see where I play !
Next I will explore the IPTV feature like stuff I did in 1995 for Linus in Washington DC.

Sorry I can't understand what you're saying. What username or avatar you use is of no interest to us.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!