What's new

FIOS Coax Range Extender or Mesh?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mmcpher

Occasional Visitor
I have an Orbi Mesh working well at my home, bypassing my Verizon Fios router. My parents have a very large house with wifi coverage issues, and I am trying to set up better coverage and signal strength. I actually have a Linksys Velop 3-node mesh system I am not currently using, that I could set up and bypass their Verizon Fios router. But Verizon is now touting it's own range extender that utilizes the set top box coax connections, which they say is like hard-wiring the range extender right to the router. Any experience with this?

No experience with the hardware you describe. But I would always use my own router before using anything the ISP gives out. :)

Assuming it’s like a MoCA connection which would be much better utilizing a wired backhaul over a wireless backhaul in most mesh systems. FYI most wireless mesh systems have very poor performance when it comes to speed, they cover well but you will notice very significant loss with wireless backhaul and large speed fluctuations. Wired access points are the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Certainly agree that wired backhaul is very helpful for mesh systems. We have a 3-node eero mesh system here that works very well. It worked fine with the wireless backhaul, but now works really well with MoCA 2.0 connecting the remote nodes to the gateway node. The MoCA adapters add 2-3 ms. of latency, but I'm not a gamer and prefer the stability of the "hardwired-equivalent" MoCA connections even though our latency is about 9 ms at the remote nodes, instead of the 6 ms that I see at the gateway node on my wired desktop.

By the way, I really like the eero mesh, has stayed up and solid with very little action on my part for about 2 years now. Firmware gets upgraded, features are added, and bugs fixed transparently. I'm more used to having to babysit things, and install new firmware manually, so it's nice to be able to have reliable wireless and not have to be doing admin all the time. No worries about disconnects or periodic slowing. Having fiber internet is also helpful in keeping things consistent, but the eero has just worked.

Their range extender is great. Flawless connection both Wi-Fi and MOCA, works at rated speed, can’t go wrong with it.

I'd give the Verizon package a shot purely because the support would be offloaded onto them. Won't stop your folks from calling you of something goes wrong, but could be worth a shot. It's most likely using MoCa (hopefully 2.0 or 2.5), which will give you a wired backhaul connection, superior to pure wireless mesh in most circumstances.

Other than that, I typically prdfer to roll my own gear and keep the ISP equipment dependency to a minimum. Can always do your own MoCa adapters, plus Velop or whatever other system is best for their environment.

I have an Orbi Mesh working well at my home, bypassing my Verizon Fios router. My parents have a very large house with wifi coverage issues, and I am trying to set up better coverage and signal strength. I actually have a Linksys Velop 3-node mesh system I am not currently using, that I could set up and bypass their Verizon Fios router. But Verizon is now touting it's own range extender that utilizes the set top box coax connections, which they say is like hard-wiring the range extender right to the router. Any experience with this?

So. . . . I am fiddling around with my own home system, previously on Orbi Mesh RBR50 through a wifi-radio-off Fios Gateway router. I swapped the Gateway router for the new Fios G3100 router, and that seemed a little better, but better still was going back to the Orbi Mesh RBR50, this time with the Fios G3100 wifif radio switched off. Which was surprising so that I mistrust the results, as I had thought that there should be no gain or loss between the Gateway or the G3100 with radios off, as it was just the coax pass-through in either case. What I am wondering is if there is anyway to use a Fios coax range extender in a similar fashion, with its wifi radio switched off, and connected to the Orbi mesh satellite unit, to make a sort of dasiy-chained hard-wired extender out of it. A lot of conflicting feedback about whether you can or should attempt to hard-wire a satellite.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!