What's new

Fios speeds get the 1/3 cut when router gets connected

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dgtlman

Occasional Visitor
We just moved into a new office space and got verizon to install business fios (150/35). There is a single cat6 cable from the ONT to the router. When I plug that cable directly into my laptop, I get the full speed. As soon as I plug in any router (i have tried the actiontech router they leave for you plus an additional 4 off the shelf routers all costing $150 and more) the speeds get cut by 33% (tops out somewhere between 80-90mbs).

Since I get the full speed when directly connected, It can't be the ONT, the provisioning or the CAT6 cable.

Routers I have tested with:

Fios Actiontec router (latest version with gigabit ports)
Apple Airport Extreme v5
Cisco rt180
Netgear 6300
Asus 66u (vanilla config and running tomato)

No matter which router I use, My speeds drop by 1/3.

I have tested this with just a single computer plugged directly into the router with nothing else connected (to eliminate the network being the issue) and that doesn't change things.

When I spoke to Verizon, they were at a total loss as to what it could be. Any help insight, ideas would be great.

It almost sounds like you are getting a 100BT connection instead of a 1000BT connection which is needed for the faster speeds.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!