What's new

FIOS TV, Westell A90 BG and DLink-DIR655 N

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SteveStMS

New Around Here
I'm looking for advice on the *best* way to setup my home wireless network now Verizon installed FIOS TV today. The installer required that I removed my D-Link DIR-655 Draft-N (hardware A2) and put in a Verizon Westel B/G router with it's coax connection in addition to my Cat5 from the ONT. Now I'm without my faster Draft-N capabilities on a couple of my notebooks. I also have wireless HP printer (G) and couple other B/G clients. So, here are a few options. Please let me know what you think is best.

A) Put my DIR-655 back in place as the B/G/N router and use the Westell A90 as the downstream device turning OFF it's wireless all together.

B) Use the DIR-655 as the N Access Point (AP) downstream of the Westell? The Westell would be used for B/G clients and DIR-655 for N clients. Could I use the same SSID name for both networks?

Thanks for your ideas and what would be best... I'm currently configured for the "B" option, but I'm having trouble getting into the D-Link admin at 192.168.0.1. Could this be because I haven't configured the DIR-655 as AP by turning off it's DHCP service?

Steve

Unless the service is somehow locked to the router, you should be able to just use the DIR-655.
If you want to use your option B, yes, you can set both to the same SSID, but you should not. Otherwise, you won't be able to direct clients to specific APs.

Thank you, I've setup it up in "B" configuration by turning off the 655 DHCP server and *not* using the WAN port. Now if I was only able to access the DIR-655 admin utility at 192.168.0.1 when the Westell is turned ON. Why does the Westell at 192.168.1.1 prevent this?

Try configuring the 655's LAN side IP on the same subnet as the Westell and clients (192.168.1.X).

Yep, that worked. I did have to reduce the DHCP IP range on Westell from 192.168.1.255 to 192.168.1.250, so I could set the 655 AP to 192.168.1.251.
The oddest thing is the admin utility for the 655 won't work when the D-Link is disconnected from the Westell, but when connected both Admin utils work.
Thank you very much.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!