What's new

Firmware Update for RT-AC86U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

visortgw

Very Senior Member
@ASUSWRT_2020 Is there any info on when we might see an update to the official firmware for the RT-AC86U? The latest available on the ASUS website is v3.0.0.4.386.45956 (released 2021/11/25). Typically in the past, ASUS has released RT-AC86U firmware just a few days behind the RT-AC68U (updated to v3.0.0.4.386.46065 on 2022/01/27). I would like to take advantage of the AiMesh fixes (that have been made available for most other routers) for my RT-AC86U nodes.

Thanks in advance.

And the long wait continues.....unusual, for sure there is some sort of an issue.

Last edited:
yeah I'm feeling left out here. but as they say patience is a virtue. maybe after all this wait we'll get the best firmware asus ever made.

What's the current "best firmware" for AC86U, based on user experience?

Except for one power failure router has been up since this firmware release on 25NOV21. Have had no complaints or reports of problems from the current owner of this router. Running on cable with a s l o w connection.

This last Asuswrt firmware spams the logs with multiple kernel errors per second the moment you enable IPv6 with NAT acceleration enabled. Asus hides the log display, but it flows like a river when send to an external log server. It was discussed in few threads already. I don't know that the system stability impact is, but non-stop kernel errors is not something I would like to see.

Apparently, the latest beta version of Merlin (386.5), which includes a GPL version with newer version-number than the latest official version, still has the issues we are waiting for Asus to fix.

What's the current "best firmware" for AC86U, based on user experience?
The least shirtty one is the latest official. I can go days without having all my 2.4ghz kicked off the network and having to restart (also, having to monitor this phenomenon in order to prevent wifi-users from constantly having to ping me about manually restarting the router).

I find original also best. Altho I really find the VPN function crap. Stuff like reconnect and such is non functional.

What about RC3 beta 386_55919? It's older, but has DNSFilter from Asuswrt-Merlin and stable Wi-Fi, at least in my short tests.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!