What's new

Firmware Update. Nothing works anymore

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

YADWQ

Occasional Visitor
I just pressed on the update firmware button in my ASUS router menu. Then a % timer ran until it was 100% after that it said what’s in the screenshot: upgrade is done, please reboot manually the AX 86U
IMG_2073.PNG

So I turned off the power button and turned it back on. But nothing is coming back up. The LEDs are blinking from time to time but no wifi network is visible on my smartphone etc.

after 10 min I turned power off again and back on. Same thing. Nothing happening since 20 min. Just the LEDs blinking from time to time.

what is happening? I need internet in the morning urgently because I’m working from home.

Hard reset makes the router work again.

but as soon as I try to configure vpn fusion for my work vpn connection, it crashes again.
How can I downgrade to the previous firmware 20566? That worked perfect.

just download the firmware from the website and manually flash over the router GUI?

i only have a MacBook and cannot find the drive utility tool for macOS (only windows?!)

Last edited:

You got lucky. This "Please reboot your router manually" message burned many people. The message comes after some time with no communication with the router and manual reboot interrupts the firmware upgrade process. I did simulation of exactly what happens on AC68U and had to use Firmware Restoration Tool after. I've never seen this message when upgrading firmware on AX86U though. It usually comes when updating slower models.

i only have a MacBook and cannot find the drive utility tool for macOS (only windows?!)

I have downloaded the 20566 firmware zip. Can I just use the router gui to flash the older firmware?

but as soon as I try to configure vpn fusion for my work vpn connection, it crashes again.
How can I downgrade to the previous firmware 20566? That worked perfect.

just download the firmware from the website and manually flash over the router GUI?

You are better off using a VPN client on your PC or Mac to connect to your work. You will get better performance.
Glad you got it working.

This doesn't fix VPN Fusion issue in 388_22068. I'm not saying anything in the release thread though because no one seems to care.

thanks all guys here for the troubleshoot last night. i would have been Fragged at work if i couldnt connect.

20566 works fine and i will not touch it.

i am baffled how such a firmware could pass Quality Control.

@bbunge i need to use the router becasue i do not have admin rights on my work laptop.

@bbunge i need to use the router becasue i do not have admin rights on my work laptop.
Bummer. Can you get your work to set up a VPN client for you? Seems as if they would do it just to improve their security. Giving you access to set up a VPN on your router dosen't make sense security wise.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!