What's new

flashed to Merlin - so where am i?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

128bit

Regular Contributor
so yes, i took the dive (RT-AC86U_386.3_2_cferom_ubi.w) and all seems well. did all the resets per l&ld even though the readme said it was a simple upgrade and unnecessary. btw, everything worked after the flash but i went back and did the factory resets, unplugged, waited 10 or so mins, then did it again anyway, cause i was wired and couldn't sleep.
  1. how do i see what rel/version i'm running? at 1st blush, it looks like "official," everywhere!
  2. are any of these feats visible without addons, telnet, ssh??
  3. should there be an "about" to see more specific rel info?
i run pretty simple with some static ips and nas, k. been running stock for years till several hours ago. wanted to see temps, and some other feats but. . . also,
i was hoping to see more options with the fw for expressvpn users like a few select asus routers - perhaps a pipe dream.

still, lots of kudos to all of u guys and especially our developer. i certainly wouldn't do it but if he could use some help with writing pubs. . . . pm me. i do believe l&ld has that locked though.

Better: left of the Disconnect button, it is written "Powered by Asus-WRT Merlin".

perhaps i should be worried,

Screenshot 2021-08-28 124119.png

this is what i see

The post in the link is not entirely right for the AC86U..

Remove any USB devices
Upload the Merlin Firmware through the Administration/Firmware Upgrade/Upload
When the router restarts log in and check the version. If it says 386.3_2 keep going
Power the router off with the power switch or unplug
Holding the WPS button (top button on right side) power on and keep holding the WPS button. The power LED will come on
When the power LED goes off, power off the unit
Power on and when it boots up do a manual configure.
Note: the above reset is called a hard factory reset. Procedures are different for Asus routers. See: https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1039074/

The post in the link is not entirely right for the AC86U.

It is spot on and this is all @128bit needs to do. No guides, no waiting and wasting time. I've done it countless times changing AC86U firmware.

Steps 1-2 - free RAM
Steps 3-4 - flash the firmware and let it boot
Steps 5-6 - reset to start fresh, configure manually
@ColinTaylor described the easy process perfectly, takes few minutes time only.

The post in the link is not entirely right for the AC86U..

Remove any USB devices
Upload the Merlin Firmware through the Administration/Firmware Upgrade/Upload
When the router restarts log in and check the version. If it says 386.3_2 keep going
Power the router off with the power switch or unplug
Holding the WPS button (top button on right side) power on and keep holding the WPS button. The power LED will come on
When the power LED goes off, power off the unit
Power on and when it boots up do a manual configure.
Note: the above reset is called a hard factory reset. Procedures are different for Asus routers. See: https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1039074/
yep, yep, YEP!! did it again, this time while much more awake and YES, i'm now in network nirvana! i truly get what all the rave's about.
so thanks for this but as you were writing i was likely starting from scratch. still, i do believe i missed a reset sequence like u mentioned.

. . . now back to network heaven.

thanks

It is spot on and this is all @128bit needs to do. No guides, no waiting and wasting time. I've done it countless times changing AC86U firmware.

Steps 1-2 - free RAM
Steps 3-4 - flash the firmware and let it boot
Steps 5-6 - reset to start fresh, configure manually
@ColinTaylor described the easy process perfectly, takes few minutes time only.
Pressing the reset button for 5 seconds in not enough.
Asus Hard Factory Reset is ... and you should know that.
I will leave the rest of my comments to the ether....

Asus Hard Factory Reset is ... and you should know that.

Reset button works every time - it resets the router to factory defaults. Not sure about seconds, but I've changed firmware on AC86U routers perhaps 50+ times and never had to do WPS hard reset. This is what I know. I was doing both resets in the beginning following the forum recommendations, but found it not necessary. @ColinTaylor simple "guide" is enough. Of course, everyone is free to do whatever he/she feels best with their own router. As I see @128bit got confused and failed first time following some magic guides for something as simple as firmware flash + reset.

I had one AC68U that reset or even WPS was not working at all. The only think that is working for me 100% time is to put Asus router in recovery mode and using Firefox log to minCFE (192.168.1.1) and clear nvram there.

I currently have 12x Asus routers in my collection and the Reset button on every one of them does one thing only - resets the router.

Asus is advising reset 1st link and 2nd link hard reset if 1st solution is not working.
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1000925
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1039074

To reset your router to the factory default settings, you can Press and Hold the Reset button on your router. However, in some cases, this may not successfully reset the router to the default status. ASUS recommends that you try the Hard Factory Reset before attempting any advanced troubleshooting.

I just told about situation that nothing was working (it was 1 router for about 1k) and only reset via miniCFE did a job. Maybe some1 will have the same situation and then can try it.

I see, but I never encountered "some cases" where the Reset button doesn't reset the router. Having alternative reset and firmware upload options is good, but only if the main reset/upload procedure is not working for some unknown reason. Using Firmware Restoration Tool or Mini CFE should be always Plan B and only for people who know what they are doing. There is no hardware verification there and bricking the router is a real possibility. Some folks here on SNB managed to do it already. @ColinTaylor simple steps above are enough for average users. Asus information covers the rest "some cases".

On your router the physicals buttons don't work, perhaps. Reset, WPS, Wi-Fi off, LEDs off buttons are rarely used, contacts inside may oxidize over time. The switches are not air tight and dust may have accumulated inside. It happens. I'm assuming your router is much older than @128bit RT-AC86U.

I see, but I never encountered "some cases" where the Reset button doesn't reset the router. Having alternative reset and firmware upload options is good, but only if the main reset/upload procedure is not working for some unknown reason. Using Firmware Restoration Tool or Mini CFE should be always Plan B and only for people who know what they are doing. There is no hardware verification there and bricking the router is a real possibility. Some folks here on SNB managed to do it already. @ColinTaylor simple steps above are enough for average users. Asus information covers the rest "some cases".

On your router the physicals buttons don't work, perhaps. Reset, WPS, Wi-Fi off, LEDs off buttons are rarely used, contacts inside may oxidize over time. The switches are not air tight and dust may have accumulated inside. It happens. I'm assuming your router is much older than @128bit RT-AC86U.
Actually, I had the WPS reset and the reset button fail, for a time, on an almost new AX86U (as I remember Eric also had issues with the buttons, too).

However, the Asus Hard Factory reset (your router will work with one of three versions) is the best to recommend to newbie or oldie!

Well, the hard reset uses the WPS button. If this button is not working, you can't do it anyway. Non working buttons on a new router is disappointing.

in my case WPS was, is and will be working. When I hard reset router (was using WPS) it reset something because after reboot I could not log to my router any more. Challenge is that after successful hard reset when you connect the best via Firefox you should see Asus start page 1 login how it call it. I was not able to log to router as I do not know what Asus login/password is when 1st logging happen (if any). After fighting with reset/WPS for 1-2h I decided to go miniCFE - and this is safe no one is asking to load anything just press left down - clear nvram. I do not tell any user should do it. If you even had situation WPS did not cleared nvram. This is like last resort and it is working every time. Same would send it as warranty replacement etc. For me it is easy and I will do it every time (1st WPS attempt will be not successful) now as I can put router in recovery easy and just log via Firefox to 192.168.1.1 and clear nvram.

Challenge is that after successful hard reset when you connect the best via Firefox you should see Asus start page 1 login how it call it.

No. You see the Setup Wizard welcome screen. No user/pass login there.

Works every time for 12 routers. Amazing.

Doesn't negate others experience.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!