What's new

FlexQoS FlexQoS 1.2.4 - Flexible QoS Enhancement Script for Adaptive QoS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Should I change it to reflect both vs. TCP, or it does not not make a difference at all.
When I used a Streaming rule for my TV, I never saw it streaming UDP, so I think TCP only is fine.

You can switch to Traditional QoS and set it and then change back to Adaptive QoS. Or change it with the nvram set command.
Maybe adding the wan overhead and atm settings to FlexQoS UI for 386.x Adaptive QoS would be nice, if possible :D Also there's a minor discrepancy between Game Transferring and Game Download labels, I assume they're the same.

Only if your connection is based on ATM. Usually DOCSIS is not ATM, but I'm not too smart in that area.

Hey mate,

I have 40ms, 90down/49up 4g connection, what would I select for wan packet overhead and should I tick ATM?

Cheers mate, hope you are well!

Hey mate,

I have 40ms, 90down/49up 4g connection, what would I select for wan packet overhead and should I tick ATM?

Cheers mate, hope you are well!
I have no experience with 4g connections.

I have no experience with 4g connections.
That makes two of us - anyone else know what to set for wan packet overhead for 4g connections in qos plus whether to tick atm or not?

That makes two of us - anyone else know what to set for wan packet overhead for 4g connections in qos plus whether to tick atm or not?
Would not worry about Wan Packet overhead with 4G. However, you may want to look into MTU. From what I've read 1500 bytes default is too big for 3G & 4G. MTU should be between 1430 and 1420 bytes.

I keep forgetting to ask, but with FlexQoS - v1.2.1
Is it "Now" acceptable to place Work-From-Home above Video & Audio Streaming or does it still cause problems?

I ask because I use an Asterisk Server via Entware on the router & obviously after looking at the Facetime IP-Rule it seems VOIP usually goes into the Work-From-Home class.
+ I must admit being confused as to why Video & Audio Streaming would need better latency as most Streaming services such as Netflix, Crave... etc use buffering
AHhhhh Cr@p I think maybe I need to go Home & initiate an Asterisk Call to see what it's actually being classified as...
Perhaps my asterisk packets are currently classified as Video & Audio Streaming.
But I guess the main point is... Video-Chat & Audio-calls both desire low latency & hence should be prioritized over IPTV type streams like Netflix & others.
Perhaps I need 2 separate classes for streams...
Those which can be heavily buffered, & those which require the lowest of latency.

@dave14305 I have an ATT fiber 1gb symmetrical connection with which I get D+ bufferbloat test with QoS disabled. With QoS on and fq_codel enabled (all other FlexQoS settings set to default) I get a B. However, the culprit appears to be upload latency under load. Download ping stays steady but upload ping jumps between 0 and 150ms, sometimes more.

Any suggestions as to what I can tweak or why this is occurring on upload?

Is it "Now" acceptable to place Work-From-Home above Video & Audio Streaming or does it still cause problems?
There isn’t any problem with Work-From-Home and Streaming. The problem is with Learn-From-Home and Streaming. Learn-From-Home should always be below Streaming.

@dave14305 I have an ATT fiber 1gb symmetrical connection with which I get D+ bufferbloat test with QoS disabled. With QoS on and fq_codel enabled (all other FlexQoS settings set to default) I get a B. However, the culprit appears to be upload latency under load. Download ping stays steady but upload ping jumps between 0 and 150ms, sometimes more.

Any suggestions as to what I can tweak or why this is occurring on upload?
What throughput do you actually achieve with QoS enabled on a gigabit connection? The rule of thumb is to keep reducing your bandwidth until the grade improves. You don’t mention what your bandwidth settings currently are, so it’s hard to offer any recommendations.

It will be hard to feel sorry for you symmetrical gigabit users. :rolleyes::)

What throughput do you actually achieve with QoS enabled on a gigabit connection? The rule of thumb is to keep reducing your bandwidth until the grade improves. You don’t mention what your bandwidth settings currently are, so it’s hard to offer any recommendations.

It will be hard to feel sorry for you symmetrical gigabit users. :rolleyes::)

Haha fair enough. To be honest I don't need that much bandwidth, ATT just had a great promotion.

I get about 940mbps at the router using speed test, I set the limits to 845 which is roughly 10% less. I went as low as 500 but the upload latency is still all over the place.

I realize this is a first world problem but my son and I play video games and I'm tired of his whining :)

Any advice would be appreciated.

Haha fair enough. To be honest I don't need that much bandwidth, ATT just had a great promotion.

I get about 940mbps at the router using speed test, I set the limits to 845 which is roughly 10% less. I went as low as 500 but the upload latency is still all over the place.

I realize this is a first world problem but my son and I play video games and I'm tired of his whining :)

Any advice would be appreciated.
Take upload down to 50 just to see if any amount of limiting will help it. If yes, keep increasing the bandwidth until it gets bad again, then lower it slightly.

If there’s no relief at 50, it’s probably an issue outside of your control with your ISP.

What kind of connection do you have to the router when you get bad bloat? WiFi could be a bottleneck when testing gigabit speeds.

Would not worry about Wan Packet overhead with 4G. However, you may want to look into MTU. From what I've read 1500 bytes default is too big for 3G & 4G. MTU should be between 1430 and 1420 bytes.
I checked the Xbox that is in the DMZ at it says 1370 is the MTU however in my 86u wan setting page I have it set to 1500.

If I put the Xbox in the client list for the vpn I run on my router the mtu drops to 1365.

I’m assuming the 4g operator is overriding my mtu value?

Last edited:
Offline devices are not named
Does it depend on the firmware build?

flex.jpg

Quick question. I am new to this I have been trying to research this so I didn’t need to bother anyone but everything I try does not seem to work.(new iptable rules etc.) I know enough on how to install Flex but flex doesn’t seem to be tracking my devices correctly. I am sure it’s me but as you can see flex is tracking the Roku correctly but the graph is not showing it under video streaming. It’s seems to be putting everything under gaming. Further all my roku device under the graph are under gaming not streaming but they are tracked correctly. I have the latest Merlin installed and have an ASUS AX 86u. Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• 0EAB8AA8-A5FA-4AEB-9281-03CE4C1FA786.jpeg
    0EAB8AA8-A5FA-4AEB-9281-03CE4C1FA786.jpeg
    49.4 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Hi Dave.
Any reason why a lower burst rate would cause slightly better gameplay?
Was comparing Fibre and 4G.
Apart from a difference in latency , I noticed 4G had a lower burst rate. Not a not lower.

Was thinking "is there a way to lower the UDP burst so i can test a theory?"

I think you might expect bad latency with QoS because of the minimum burst parameters that Adaptive QoS uses (3200 bytes). It may be a little too high for your download bandwidth (19Mbps) and certainly too high for your upload bandwidth (1Mbps). I'll have to think if there's a better way to handle smaller bandwidth.
Good news? :)

Some rules look weird (Game Downloads going to work-from-home, cams going to Gaming). That Web Surfing rule is very unusual since it’s filtering on local port, which is unlikely to occur. Comparing your earlier debug output, you might have put the ports in the wrong field the second time. But I still believe that is a bad rule anyway. I’d delete it. Too much traffic is on port 443 these days.

Sorry the process isn’t easier, but you might consider starting over again.
If you had an import/export options to csv the user could easily reorder the rules and make a backup of their rules at the same time. Similar to how the lan static ip section lets you export a list of them. I just had to redo my router (I added a usb hard drive and made it a nfs mount....tried to copy 300 files and at 170 files the router went into lala land and never came back....hard reset was all I could do. I would have enjoyed being able to import my rules as opposed to manually create them all again.)

Also why do I have alot of traffic that is "untracked"....shouldn't there be a catch all that puts those into "other?"

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!