What's new

forcesafesearch and dns filtering with opendns not working...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

snevah admin

Occasional Visitor
Hi all.

Trying to provide some basic filtering in our home. My goal is to get opendns filtering working and ensuring that forcesafesearch is used for google search. I can do both, but not at the same time.

what I have done:
1) In my /jffs/config/dnsmasq.conf.add I have added cname=www.google.com,forcesafesearch.google.com
2) In my /jffs/config/hosts.add I have added 216.239.38.120 forcesafesearch.google.com

This seems to work. Every browser in the house seems to be stuck on safe search which is good.

In addition, under parental controls, I have setup DNS filtering with opendns. I have even succeeded in getting dnsomatic to keep my WAN IP up to date (i think). But, whenever I enable DNS filtering, it seems to break the setup of forcesafesearch. When I do an nslookup on www.google.com, it no longer has the 216.239.38.120 address, instead, it has a host of 74. addresses.

Can someone help me understand what is going on here? Are these two settings supposed to work independent of each other?

Thanks in advance!!!

Wow, a little impatient, huh? Can't wait for half an hour for an answer?

Please don't cross post the same things across forums.

Already answered in your first thread.

Wow, a little impatient, huh? Can't wait for half an hour for an answer?

Please don't cross post the same things across forums.

Already answered in your first thread.
apologies... I should consolidate. Wasn't so much as impatience, but thinking I should have not hijacked the other thread and made a specific new question. Perhaps I should delete the comments in this one or the other one? Sorry, noob = me