What's new

Foxconn buys Belkin (and Linksys)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Qualcomm is different then linksys and belkin.
Qualcomm has more technology involve with LTE,5G stuff. The other companies just create router and wifi relate products.
I don't think US gov put break on this.

Current US administration is a bit unpredictable... and this deal falls into an unfortunate time at the moment.

Foxconn makes a lot of things for many people - Quality is there if the OEM pays for it.

They're also very adept at design for manufacturing - BOM optimization, best practices for design.

Ah yes, the famous "costdown" measure...

In fact, this is something both Taiwanes and Chinese companies are great at, to the point where you might get an entirely different product than what you wanted... Also, a lot of this sh*t ends up breaking certifications and what not, as changes are made and certifications aren't updated, due to the cost of doing so. This in turn makes this actually illegal, but it's not as if it isn't done by most companies...

The thing that most of you seem to miss here is that many brands, as that's what the likes of Belkin, Netgear, D-Link and many others really are, can use different suppliers for the same product. This is why the same product can vary a lot in terms of quality as well. D-Link doesn't even make their own hardware designs, or software in many cases for that matter, they just tell their partners what they want, the minimum spec and give them some UI guidelines. I've been to some of the factories that make D-Link products and there's not a single D-Link employee there.

Foxconn, Quanta, Clevo, Mitac, Pegatron, Wistron etc. all make pretty good quality, otherwise they'd be out of a business, as no-one would want to work with them. However, companies that don't have their on QA/QC staff in the factories often end up with sub-par quality, as one thing in common with most of the manufacturers is that if they see a way to save a penny and they think you won't notice, they'll most likely do it. The reason for this is simply that there has been and still is to a degree, a race to the bottom, so when you have 1% margin or maybe less, you're going to do whatever you can to save on cost. Unfortunately this often means that there will be issues down the road.

So if anyone wants to complain about the fact that the quality today isn't what it used to be, look in the mirror and consider what you're willing to pay for something. If you expect a $30 router to last a lifetime, think again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah yes, the famous "costdown" measure...

In fact, this is something both Taiwanes and Chinese companies are great at, to the point where you might get an entirely different product than what you wanted... Also, a lot of this sh*t ends up breaking certifications and what not, as changes are made and certifications aren't updated, due to the cost of doing so. This in turn makes this actually illegal, but it's not as if it isn't done by most companies...

The thing that most of you seem to miss here is that many brands, as that's what the likes of Belkin, Netgear, D-Link and many others really are, can use different suppliers for the same product. This is why the same product can vary a lot in terms of quality as well. D-Link doesn't even make their own hardware designs, or software in many cases for that matter, they just tell their partners what they want, the minimum spec and give them some UI guidelines. I've been to some of the factories that make D-Link products and there's not a single D-Link employee there.

Foxconn, Quanta, Clevo, Mitac, Pegatron, Wistron etc. all make pretty good quality, otherwise they'd be out of a business, as no-one would want to work with them. However, companies that don't have their on QA/QC staff in the factories often end up with sub-par quality, as one thing in common with most of the manufacturers is that if they see a way to save a penny and they think you won't notice, they'll most likely do it. The reason for this is simply that there has been and still is to a degree, a race to the bottom, so when you have 1% margin or maybe less, you're going to do whatever you can to save on cost. Unfortunately this often means that there will be issues down the road.

So if anyone wants to complain about the fact that the quality today isn't what it used to be, look in the mirror and consider what you're willing to pay for something. If you expect a $30 router to last a lifetime, think again.

So basically buy enterprise level for networking equipment.

The Foxconn-Belkin deal will have to go thru regulatory review by the US Govt... Which might be interesting when considering that the current administration is much more hands on these kinds of deals recently (ref. Avago vs. Qualcomm)

It would be interesting since Foxconn committed to building a new $10B factory in Wisconsin that's supposed to employ 13,000 workers, not counting the other 16,000 indirectly related jobs that Walker announced. Which way will it go???

So basically buy enterprise level for networking equipment.
I sensing you were kidding, but if not then that's obviously not applicable to or sustainable for most consumers, but for any business that depends on its network infra, then yeah, investing in proper gear and setup is letter of the law as far as I'm concerned.
I think you meant "Belden".
I'm thinking he meant Belkin... I trust most in the know wouldn't get those two confused. Alas, not many here know (or care) about the differences in quality, so it's mostly a mute point. ;)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!