What's new

Free Asus DDNS name

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

miniterror

Regular Contributor
I wonder if there are ways to release a Asuscomm ddns name.
Recently i have switched from a AC-68u to a AX-86U and the old router is sold.
Apparantly i havent correctly shut down the DDNS service and now the name cant be registered.
Had a quick call with Asus suppor tof my country and they state i need the serial of my old device.
As its sold on a second hand marketplace i do not have access to this device anymore or have a way to get this information.
Are there any other ways to get this released?

Should expire after a couple of months assuming the new user doesn't use it.

Should expire after a couple of months assuming the new user doesn't use it.
Are you sure?
Between the ac68u and ax86u i had a timeframe where i used a ubiquiti router, this started in May 2020, so since then it hasnt actually connected with my DDNS name.
I did a factory reset before i sold it and i assume the chances of him using the exact same DDNS name are verry small.
Also when i lookup the DDNS it resolves to a older IP from my ISP close to my current IP.
My ISP gives a IP by DHCP so i can imagine it has changed somewhere in the timeframe i sold the ac68u

You need to create a new asus ddns into the old router in order to release your old ddns.
Then simply use the old ddns into the new router, it may take 24 hours to work.
This is what i have been doing over the years with 5 routers to use the same ddns.
Now, if you sold your device etc and did not release the ddns prior then its stuck to its mac address in the asus servers.

On newer firmwares there is a option on: ASUS Wireless Router RT-AX86U - Restore/Save/Upload Setting
to transfer a ddns .

Last edited:
If you happen to know the MAC of your old router you can clone your new router to your old routers MAC address in the WAN settings then it will grab you old DDNS name then release it (by changing the XXXX.asuscomm.com to anything other than yours) the DDNS settings. Then un-clone your MAC and it should allow you to register it as new. As you can tell it ties them to the routers MAC address. I have had to do this in the past and it works.

Last edited:
Asus DDNS doesn't just rely on the MAC, it also uses a unique PIN code stored in nvram.

I believe someone once got his DDNS cleared by contacting Asus's tech support, you might want to try that.

I wonder if there are ways to release a Asuscomm ddns name.
Recently i have switched from a AC-68u to a AX-86U and the old router is sold.
Apparantly i havent correctly shut down the DDNS service and now the name cant be registered.
Had a quick call with Asus suppor tof my country and they state i need the serial of my old device.
As its sold on a second hand marketplace i do not have access to this device anymore or have a way to get this information.
Are there any other ways to get this released?

I always use a new one when getting a new Asus router, then I make the changes down the line so stuff connects again....

Asus DDNS doesn't just rely on the MAC, it also uses a unique PIN code stored in nvram.

I believe someone once got his DDNS cleared by contacting Asus's tech support, you might want to try that.
I tried this but the tech support stated i need to knw the serial and MAC of the device.
As i have sold the device to a unknown person via a local marketplace i have no idea how to get that information from the device.
Guess i need to start thinking about a new DDNS name

I tried this but the tech support stated i need to knw the serial and MAC of the device
You won't be able to recover access to that name yourself without these information, as this is what the client uses to authenticate with their server. Your only alternative to change to a different name.

I tried this but the tech support stated i need to knw the serial and MAC of the device.
As i have sold the device to a unknown person via a local marketplace i have no idea how to get that information from the device.
Guess i need to start thinking about a new DDNS name
Did you ever make a back up of your settings? Your MAC (I'm not sure about the serial) is in there. There is a tool that can decode it into a neat/clean table.

Did you ever make a back up of your settings? Your MAC (I'm not sure about the serial) is in there. There is a tool that can decode it into a neat/clean table.
Good suggestion, unfortionally i have never made a backup.
My network is so default it isnt needed.
Im not even bothered to do factory resets, setup WiFi name, install Diversion and go

If you registered the router with Asus for warranty go t o your profile on the Asus web site. The serial number should be there.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!