What's new

Free back up software (that really works9

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pbls

Occasional Visitor
Free back up software ( that really works )

i was wondering what kind of software (without paying) that could make my back ups but making a mirror of the folders or a compressed file,i don´t really likey the proprietary file types like the TIBs from Acronis and son on.After trying a bunch of them i choose :

FBackup 4.0 free backup software
for Windows Vista, XP, 2008/2003/2000 Server

link here.

Last edited:
Haven't used Fbackup but it looks pretty good. It looks like its the same company that writes doPDF, a great free PDF print utility. It should be good.
Their pay product, Backup4all has gotten pretty good reviews. Especially the current version.

I've been using Cobian backup for a while now. Cobian seems to have a few more features than FBackup, like the option to run as a service. Cobian is robust and I have not experienced crashing at all. One thing that is negative about Cobian is that they have no Restore capabilities. The developer feels that restore can be a manual process and he sees no point in writing a restore app into the program. Debatable but it hasn't been a deal breaker for me when I need a free solution.

Last edited:
i´m going to try that one too,it´s like FBackup,simple and idiot proof :D

Please let me know which you prefer. I may test FBackup as an alternative if you think its a better solution. I just like the fact that Cobian can easily be setup as a service, the GUI locked so users don't screw with my settings, logs emailed if backups fail, and it supports VSS.

hi there,well after tested cobian,i must say that i prefer the FBackup,Cobian is nice but give me a error when i try to back to my NAS,so reinstalled FBackup,the only thing i miss and cobian has it is the start as service only,but i can start FBackup minimized,the resources used are minimal.so if it wasn´t the error i have prefered Cobian because of the start has service only.;)

When running Cobian as a service you must set the service to login as a valid user (the Windows user account you are normally using). This must have permission to r/w with the NAS share. Its not an issue with Cobian per se, its a Windows issue when running as a service.

If you continue to have issues running as a service, run Cobian as an app (like fbackup). This way you can test it properly.

I tested fBackup and Backup4all (their pay 4 version). Its OK, but I'm not overly impressed. Fbackup is seriously lacking features for my taste. backup4all is much better but I'm still disappointed. Their plugins are not up to par. They don't even have an Outlook plugin. No service capability. They use Windows scheduler. I can go on and on...

claykin,Cobian is running on my computer to last,the error i mencioned was for the reason you wrote,Thanks...running as a service really makes a difference.;)

easus todo backup? a new one in this feild, it seems works well. While easeus todo backup 1.1 is compatible with the latest Windows 7 32bit/64bit.

easus todo backup? a new one in this feild, it seems works well. While easeus todo backup 1.1 is compatible with the latest Windows 7 32bit/64bit.

This app is an imaging program. Its free and similar to Macrium Reflect free. No scheduler and no capability to do incremental images. Not my cup of tea.

If you want to do disk imaging don't screw around with unproven software, use one of these three proven options:

1) Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery Desktop
2) Storagecraft Shadowprotect
3) Image for Windows by Terabyte software.

My 2 cents.

I've used Comodo backup for a few small situations, one thing I find free backup programs are lacking, is the ability to start over-writing previous backup jobs at some set rate. Like keep 5x backups and keep overwriting the oldest backup, etc.

I see this FBackup has an overwrite ability, I'll have to check it out.

I've used Comodo backup for a few small situations, one thing I find free backup programs are lacking, is the ability to start over-writing previous backup jobs at some set rate. Like keep 5x backups and keep overwriting the oldest backup, etc.

I see this FBackup has an overwrite ability, I'll have to check it out.

Try Cobian Backup. IMO, best of the free backup apps.